Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Tile around outlets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tile around outlets Sign In/Join 
posted
Good afternoon Anyone have advice on how to tile around electrical outlets in a kitchen .

I going to put up this tile backsplace that ceramic and stainless steel . I have a wet saw but unsure how to make cuts around the tile for the outlets

Posts: 496 | Registered: Sep 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a couple ways to put ceramic tile around outlets, and it really isn't hard if you have access to a wet saw.

Cutting a neat hole in the middle of a tile is nearly impossible. Typically all goes well until the last cut and then it breaks!

One workable way is to cut the tile in half or there-abouts, and then cut away the rest to fit around the outlet. If you are lucky you place the tile such that you only need to cut into three sides of it; you end up with a horseshoe shape. I have a lot of experience with a wet saw and if I feel lucky, I will try the hole in the middle. Otherwise I will start by cutting it in half and go from there.

Added: remember that the cover plate will cover a lot of odd shapes; it only has to be perfect around the outside of the cover plate where it shows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Fleming,

Posts: 12178 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you I try your suggestion I been having this tile for three months trying to figure how to cut around the outlets.

posted Hide Post
Not for nothing but with questions like this, it would be extremely helpful to know what you are using for tile. Working around an outlet box for a 12x12 tile is very different than working with a 2x2 mosaic.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would usually attempt this with a grinder and a couple strategically placed holes with a masonry bit.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the tile is glass with stainless steel