Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Painting kitchen cabinets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting kitchen cabinets? Sign In/Join 
posted
I was thinking of painting my oak kitchen cabinets white. How do I prepare the wood to be painted? Can I lightly sand them or does the old finish need to be completely stripped off? Also, what type of paint is best...oil, latex, flat, satin, gloss?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: robemeen,

ROBE

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the painting topic on my website at www.bobf.info. I have done this several times. Sand lightly if necessary, with fine sandpaper. Wipe down wth a liquid deglosser (petroleum base, not latex). Prime immediately with an oil primer.

You can paint with a latex paint if you wish, but it won't last; fingerprints badly and softens with humidity. So use oil enamel. Will probably need two coats.

The oak grain will show through but less with the number of coats. IMHO the grain doesn't look offensive.

Posts: 12189 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As to sheen, I prefer semi-gloss. Flat sheen will not be durable; gloss is too much IMHO.

Posts: 12189 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends what color you like! For example, I like bright colors so, I want to make all my house such way! As for kitchen, I imagine it in some yellow colors, some variants for it, like lemon, sand yellow, it also can be mix of these colors + orange too!
But you need to choose what you like!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kimberly Tilly,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post