Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Circuit Panel placement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Circuit Panel placement Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, I am remodeling my basement and most likely going to upgrade to a 200 AMP panel.
Is there a reason I couldn't put the panel in the floor joist so it is out of the way. The panel now is 2 feet from wall on a piece of plywood,that is hanging from the ceiling(floor joist) but because it's 2 feet from wall it makes it easy to whack the board to get to the wall and anything in that corner. It can't go up on wall as the water pipe return to street (sewer) is runs buy both walls in that corner. The joist are 7' from floor(basement concrete) and it get the panel out of the way putting in the joist, and allow all the circuits to reach the panel without running new wire or spicing in small extensions. joist are 2x10's so there would be plenty of air space around the panel.
I've never seen one put there, and don't know if it's a hazard or just a "easier to find/see when hanging on wall, or in my case hanging near the walls.. Trying to add any space I can, without moving the panel to the other end of the basement.
Thanks for reading

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
The NEC is very specific about panel placement. You can't install it in the ceiling. In the USA a panel is hung on the wall vertically. You have to have clearance around the panel for access.

If you watch some of the Canadian shows (anything Holmes, Property Brothers) panels there can be hung horizontally.

Messing with the panel is not a DIY effort for most people. If you don't know what you're doing you can kill yourself in an electrical panel.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post