Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Replacing a digital thermostat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing a digital thermostat Sign In/Join 
posted
Bought a house with a new-ish looking digital thermostat. It uses a stylus with the touch screen to change settings. Problem is, the screen seems to be going bad, most parts are unresponsive to the stylus. We can't use any of the programming options because of this, and there are times when adjusting the temp is tough as well. With no electrician experience, how difficult would it be to buy a very similar replacement thermostat and switching them out? Is this a job best left to the pros? Pic of thermostat attached

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to find a manual online for the thermostat? You may not need to replace it.

In the last house, I was able to get the cover off and find a model # of the item. A short search online and I had the manual so we were able to change the programming and understand some of the things that seemed odd to us.

Posts: 7043 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found manuals to similar models, but not the exact one. I understand the programming function, and after moving in I fiddled around with it for long enough to know how to use it. The main problem is that changes I know how to make, sometimes the screen responds to the touch of the stylus, and sometimes it does not. This leads me to believe that the touch screen has started not working in certain areas.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Carrier brand 'stat and I highly recommend the brand. Our place had a common programmable "stat when we moved in and none of us could understand it. The Carrier doesn't use a touch screen or stylus; just user friendly buttons that don't need a manual to operate.

You have to be careful in replacing a 'stat to be sure you follow directions. Some of them have weird connections - or used to - and can be confusing. Color coded wires are fairly typical and following the color codes should do the trick.

Posts: 12186 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
As far as removing/replacing and the color coding of wires?
Before you disconnect any, take a color photo (with digital camera or Ipad/or similar). Also/or take some notes and mark the wires as to what they were attached to on the existing thermostat. It may help you reconnect the new one, in case the wires are not the right color.

Also make sure the wires do not accidentally fall back into the wall cavity! Have some good tape handy to hold them?

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Conrad said. Also many of the new thermostats come with directions.... Some easier to follow than others. If you can follow directions you should be able to do it.

Posts: 7043 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post