Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Existing Cellulose insulation in attic - can I lay a floor on it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Existing Cellulose insulation in attic - can I lay a floor on it? Sign In/Join 
posted
We have a small war-time house... and are lacking storage and space. The idea is to "finish" the attic (adding a plywood floor, insulating and poly-wrap the roof), so we could use this as seasonal storage.
The attic floor currently has Cellulose insulation blown across it... we have added pot lights and have added the proper plastic insulation cap (the electrician knew)... but now, I understand that I may not be able to lay a floor on top of the insulation that is there, and that we may need to have it removed.
***We are planning on installing bats of r22 along the roof line....
Can we lay a plywood floor over the existing insulation, then *finish* the attic from there...
Please help!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Why do you think you need to remove the insulation?

What do you mean "poly-wrap" the roof?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6946 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I've known people who've had insulation blown between floors (upstairs/downstairs) to alleviate noise, and had no problems afterward. In your case, since the attic space will be used for storage only, it may be preferable to have insulation in the attic floor to prevent heat-loss from the rooms below.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also do not understand why you would want to finish the attic just for storage? Maybe you better define "finish".

Posts: 7046 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finish: lay down a plywood floor, insulate along roof line....
We do not have a basement, wartime house, there is very little storage space (one closet), and this is adding storage without an addition.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insulation should be between your heated space and your unheated space so you should not have insulation at the roof since you already have it in the floor. That insulation should not be compacted. You may have to add cripples to your floor joists to make them tall enough to add plywood flooring.

By the way, war time home does not describe a house. It depends upon what war and what area of the country. There are many variables.

Posts: 7046 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post