HGTV Message Boards
Update Home Exterior

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4774011632/m/4493965967

Apr 09, 2013, 02:00 PM
FireMedic17
Update Home Exterior
So I have recently purchased my first home, but dislike the look of the outside of the house. I am wondering if anyone has ideas on how to bring the look of the house up. I am not sure if I should go as far to paint all the window trims, fascia, gutters, and etc white vs the brown, or would I be better off another way. The house has vinyl siding. <BR><BR>Thank youShould I paint vinyl siding and window trim?YesNoOther?

Apr 09, 2013, 02:00 PM
FireMedic17
Rear of house

Apr 09, 2013, 04:34 PM
Sparky
I wouldn't go white with the trim. With the taupe siding and brown roof I'm not sure what options you have.

I'd do the following:

Clean the roof to remove the algae, mold/mildew stains. Add zinc strip to the roof to keep it at bay. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d9hM4Cj640 Oxygen bleach is also knows as "oxy clean" of the infomerical fame. Tommy Silva says to use regular bleach in this post: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/to...n/0,,1549864,00.html

Landscaping would be a relatively inexpensive way to improve the curb appeal.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Apr 11, 2013, 08:36 PM
Grapefruit
What you do depends on your budget. It is a very cute house that just needs a little boost. I would remove the shutters on the bow window, paint the front door, add some sidewalks and new plantings, and remove the siding surrounding the side porch! Replace that siding with some railings and balusters.

Post this on the General Decorating board , and you will get great ideas from the folks over there!
Apr 11, 2013, 08:37 PM
Grapefruit
I will also add that a little portico over your front door would be adorable!!!
Apr 11, 2013, 11:52 PM
metwo
IMHO, your colors are fine but a little landscaping would help. I think the real problem is your front door. It doesn't say " come visit " . The entry steps are so small that when you open the door it knocks the person off the step. (Or gives them a smashed nose). Building a larger deck over the steps would take some work but would improve things.

A little roof over the area wouldn't hurt either.
Apr 12, 2013, 10:12 AM
Sparky
A nice planting box under the front windows would add a punch of color.

I like the idea of adding a portico over the front steps and enlarging them. I'd go with a reverse gable for the front porch.

Not sure I'd go quite this big especially with the big bow window.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/21...-exterior-birmingham

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Apr 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
metwo
Nice link, Sparky. FireMedic, if you look at the small pxs to the right in that link, you will get more ideas.
Apr 12, 2013, 02:15 PM
Sparky
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Nice link, Sparky. FireMedic, if you look at the small pxs to the right in that link, you will get more ideas.

Behold the power of Google, actually it was ASK that found it.

General Disclaimer

Apr 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
AguaBella
The large projects sound great and can be accomplished as your time and budget permits, Fire. Congratulations on your new home!

In the meantime, your neutral base appears a little blah, although it's a great start. IMHO, you simply need a splash of color.

Don't know what colors you like but I thought of green immediately when I saw your brown trim. Because it's neutral, you can use pretty much any color, although I would avoid whites.

For a quick update, if it were my home, I would pull off the shutters and spray paint them in green. Forest would be a little dark and you'll want a shade to stand out againt/contrast with the dark brown.

Next, I would paint the front door in a vivid, high-gloss color to draw attention and guide visitors to the entrance. You could repeat the green but I usually recommend a unique color for the front door.

You might consider burgundy (not red - don't want the holiday look, IMHO) but you can go pretty much anywhere with your neutral base.

To finish it off, I would add a tall, large pot planted with fresh, multi-colored flowers. If room, I'd place them at the front door or at the bottom of the steps.

One other small job to consider, it might be nice to repeat the green (or whatever shutter color you select) by painting out your light pole. That might help make your home more welcoming to guests, too.

All, JMHO and good luck!