Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Direction of Tile
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Direction of Tile Sign In/Join 
Picture of tulipsandroses
posted
We are installing our porcelain tile ourselves. These are 5x32 tiles that look like wood planks. The question is which way to lay the tile?? This small room has a front and back door. Do the tiles go horizontal that way door to door or do they go horizontal from wall to wall the other way??? Is there a proper way to do this or is it a matter of choice? Also how small should the grout joint be? Thanks....

Posts: 56 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking a wood floor would be parallel to the longer axis of the room because floor joists would span the shorter distance and the flooring would be perpendicular to the joists. If you're looking to keep this looking as if it were wood, use the same alignment. I'd also use the minimum grout thickness recommended by the tile manufacturer because there is NO space between planks of a wood floor. Also, use a grout color the same as the darkest color showing in the tile.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that information. That does answer my questions. I really appreciate it.

Posts: 56 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Porcelain tile 5" x 32"? Lots of luck! The backer would have to be like concrete to keep the tile from cracking.

Posts: 12197 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes the floor is concrete.....

posted Hide Post
On the other hand...

Not to be contrary but it really does not matter. It is just personal taste. Do you want the long joints to be parallel to the light source or not? That is the other criterion frequently used.

In my opinion is do whatever is the easiest to install with the fewest problems. That will make you glad you did it yourself and you will be happiest with it.

Posts: 7216 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post