Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help Sign In/Join 
posted
The genius who put in the fireplace in the family room of the house we recently bought put the bump-out in the 2 car garage-it won't fit both our cars. I want to remove the heatilator completely since it can't be used-chimney is wood covered with stucco and can't use fireplace at all. Want to drywall the back side in the garage and put in an electric heater/air conditioner combo (or something that accomplishes heating and air conditioning 440 sf and fits in with the red brick and cedar paneling) that will fit area 38.5" wide by 34" high by 4" deep. Any ideas

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was/is not a uncommon practice where the fireplace joins a garage. If it was left sticking out into the room then the homeowners would complain that it took up too much space.

Probably not a real hard job removing the chimney if in fact it is woodframed w/ double or tripple wall flue pipe but if it is just stucco over block then that is a horse of a different color.

Not quite understanding your request for a heat/air conditioner in such a small sq ft area. Are you wanting something to go in the garage or the living room? You might consider a mini-split unit that basicly has the majority of the unit on the outside and a small unit on the inside. I am sure you can find one. The exact demensions will have to be obtained from the manufacturer. I believe you are trying to make it fit into the fireplace opening by the demensions but I doubt it wil fit the wall thickness

Just google it as I did here. http://www.google.com/search?s....0.fmFMAhm5jr4&pbx=1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 725 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please put your location in your profile as I have done; it is important to this discussion.

Is your home only 440 sq ft, or is that your family room?

I don't know a type or brand of unit that will handle your situation but a fireplace company should have no trouble recommending one. Frankly, the installer who did the work should be called to correct his poor work.

Posts: 12156 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a ductless mini split can provide ac and heat ( heat pump) ... they range from 1/2 ton to several tons. A condenser sits outside while the coil is wall mounted... about 36" long... 8-10 " tall and 6" deep. Fujitsu, Mr Slim, and Daikin are major brands. we've installed all of those and been very pleased.
The other thing to consider is a PTAC unit... that is a Hotel unit... but ya need the "outdoor portion to ba able to draft fresh air through the back ( exterior side) ... With it being a small space to condition...a traditional package unit may be too large. 1 1/2 tons is usuallt the smallest you'll find in those.
I would brainstorm with fireplace companies first then get you ac/heat person on board.
I'm in Houston ... depending on your location there may be better options.

Becky

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post