Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  pathetic master bath
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pathetic master bath Sign In/Join 
posted
Help....my master bath is so small (59 inches by 53 inches from sink wall to shower including a toliet!
I want to list our house for sale and know this is an issue. Should I go to the expense of taking the wall to wall sink and adding a smaller 30 inch farm style with legs and add top small width cabinet hutches along the side of mirror? picture attached

Posts: 4 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: Feb 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That will really not open it up. One suggestion would be to replace the large vanity with a smaller one and a decorative medicine cabinet including mirror closer to the doorway. Then rotate the toilet 90 deg and tuck in against the same wall as the sink opening the area in front of the shower.

Posts: 725 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I like Red's idea of moving the toilet, that can be a very big job depending on the floor and access (if any) from below. If the joists are running the wrong way and there is a first floor below it could be very tough to do it. It would take the toilet out of being the focal point of the bathroom.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6858 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although it may help you sell your house faster, sure you want to take the risk of spending **$ to remodel the bath and not recouping it upon sale? BTW, if someone claims an 80% "return" on a bath remodel, that means it'll cost you 20%.

Agree with the idea of rotating the toilet but by the time you replace the vanity and mirror, deal with the plumbing and joists, replaster and paint the walls, replace the floor, it's more than a few **$.

Instead, you might consider just staging it by repainting, updating the hardware, e.g. towel rack and faucet (if necessary), purchasing and carefully arranging a full set of fluffy towels, etc.

BTW, agree with you about replacing the vanity with a farmhouse sink and open legs to provide the illusion of space, if you do the reno. Would also skip medicine cabinets b/c they add bulk. (Your buyer can add them later, if they like.) Besides all the other work and staging listed above, I would simply install an updated, single sink mirror.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Posts: 414 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pic! I always thought my master bath was the smallest on earth, but yours takes the prize! I agree that if you stage it beautifully, the size won't make a negative impact when the buyer views it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would see about moving the toilet and what is involved. I like your idea of the pedestal sink or at least a much smaller one with the toilet on the side. I actually do think it will make a big difference. If you find the toilet too expensive to move then leave it as is - just clean and staged a bit. IMO, to replace flooring, etc. would not be a big deal since it is so small.

Posts: 721 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A smaller vanity would really open up the space.
Look for a eurolav where the vanity sits back and the sink hangs over, similar to a pedestal with storage underneath. Makes my tiny bath look much bigger. Moving the toilet would be great but a much bigger project. Good luck, at least you have a master bath.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post