Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting Windows Sign In/Join 
Picture of Annett
posted
I've had some of the oak (--at least I THINK they're oak) windows in my basement replaced with vinyl, and have decided to paint the rest white to match. The window exteriors are wrapped in vinyl, so I'll only be painting the interior sides. Because there are some dark water spots from condensation, and because I live in an area of the country with extreme temperatures (-10 to 100), I'm thinking of using the following products:
Zinsser CoverStain Oil-base Interior & Exterior Primer
and
Behr Premium Plus Ultra Stain-blocking paint and primer in one, EXTERIOR Semi-gloss enamel.

What do you think?

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me but I am suspicious that primer in paint is a marketing ploy rather than useful...just like that one coat paint used to be. Using a stain blocking primer should do the job though.

Posts: 6733 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm suspicious of the primer in paint stuff, too.
And I'm certainly NOT a fan of any BEHR product.
Why are you using exterior paint on interior windows?

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaysmom49:

Why are you using exterior paint on interior windows?

Because, from what I've been reading, one of the primary differences between interior and exterior paints is that exterior paint holds up much better to temperature extremes. And even though the paint would be on the inside, the window frames are certainly going to be affected by the sub-zero temperatures we get outside.

So, the question is, are there better products? Or a better combination of products?

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zinser is a good brand. I've had no problem with behr. But I too don't think you need to use exterior paint but it won't hurt. We are further north than you with the much colder weather and I don't know of anyone around here that uses the exterior paint inside unless they are using leftover paint.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 6733 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Zinser is a good brand. I've had no problem with behr. But I too don't think you need to use exterior paint but it won't hurt. We are further north than you with the much colder weather and I don't know of anyone around here that uses the exterior paint inside unless they are using leftover paint.

Thanks, Metwo. I'll reconsider using interior enamel, especially since I'm pretty sure the smell will be less offensive than exterior paint. I'm just looking for the best way to avoid re-doing this job anytime soon.