Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Do you have any summer projects in the works?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have any summer projects in the works? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Sparky
posted
What projects do have planned for this summer?

I'm planning to pull permits and finally finish my basement. It will likely be a longish project purchasing materials out of income and not hitting the savings or borrowing money to do it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HGTVAdmin,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6865 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An ambitious project. What are you going to start with?

No projects here except to convince my husband to get rid of all the stuff that was in the polebarn that collapsed this winter. I suppose that doesn't count.

Posts: 6733 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
It is largely framed up already. I need to pull permits to get it inspected so I can do electrical, HVAC and plumbing. It will have a home office, exercise room, bathroom, storage and a large space that could be a home theater, but I doubt I'll outfit is as such. How many TV viewing rooms does one family need?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6865 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stone columns on our porch, new roof, new windows and new (replacing) siding

Posts: 460 | Registered: Apr 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunshine, I know from your other posts that you have been planning this. Were you able to get any of it started yet?

Posts: 6733 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New windows are in, with the exception of the 2 sills that need replacing. New roof on garage, hopefully house roof will get replaced next week. It has rained so much here that our roofer is now behind. Columns have been built and one is covered in stone so we could see what it will look like. Siding on garage is finished, house is almost finished. Rented a piece of equipment to use and it truly was a 'piece', but of crap. Worthless. So we have a few more days of work and we are through. Kind of stumped on the front door frame though. Thanks for asking.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Just finished running electrical and water out to DH's new workshop and to the gazebo. (150ft) Renting a 30"trencher made it a lot easier.

Now DH is building a wall unit closet for his daughter who is 8-1/2months. He hopes to finish just in time for the new arrival.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Our list is a long one, but here goes: I asked dh to build deck "windows". He did...I encouraged him to beef it up so it didn't look like timber frame with no substance. We added sail cloth to the top and are delighted with the outcome. I have sewn a side curtain to provide shade from the late afternoon sun. My dh strung wire across so it could slide easily and where needed. We decided to put vinyl siding on our home. It's completed...and neighbors keep telling us how beautiful our house is. Smile His favorite addition was the larger gutters and downspouts. One neighbor says he has watched the rain pour out of the gutters much better than before. We had to paint the cinder block so it was cohesive in color, previous owner had three shades of white/gray to the color. Added a new mailbox to front. I created new house numbers out of magnetic sheet of paper. Once it is laminated, it will be on the mailbox. We plan on creating various house numbers based on seasons. Back to the deck....DH said it needed to be restained. We have learned that our favorite stain color was discontinued. We took a sample in and tried to have it matched. YUCK. yuck. Triple yuck! It came out a dull version of Pepto Bismol and not . Rather than returning it.....we went to store number two. This store didn't have our color either. So, we tried AGAIN. We will have to live with this color for awhile. Why are colors discontinued? My list continues: We will now have to paint the trim of our shed. We are repainting the front rails white. Building one last raised garden bed for next year, by reusing the shutters removed from the house. We've done this for one of our other beds and love it! A neighbor has decided to do the same thing since she had some, too. Tending to the other garden beds is an ongoing project. We're trying some newer veggies this year. We waited to work on the front lawn landscaping....didn't want contractors to work around this. We've been waiting for another project to arrive. Our interior bathroom is getting redone in the next couple of weeks. Can you say "WHEW!"?

Posts: 5056 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, Trish that is a lot.

We started out April 17 trying to get bids on a new roof. Honestly, I don't know why people advertise their business if they don't want to work. Out of the 3 we scheduled to come out and give us a price, only 2 showed up. One didn't call until 2 hours after he was supposed to be there 12-4 and he calls us after 6:00. Were we supposed to sit around and wait on him? The other came out but never called us back with his price.

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know why people advertise their business if they don't want to work.

Agreed! No matter the service offered, seems they all do that. We wanted bids to rebuild a 100' x 6' retaining wall, well worth the effort of a bid, IMO. We called four companies, only two bothered to respond.

After the wall was built, we needed extensive lawn repair. Only one out of three companies responded to calls.

This is just a theory of mine, take it for what it's worth. But this problem seems to have gotten worse since businesses have dropped their brick and mortar office spaces and receptionists in favor of operations conducted by cell phone only. I believe calls get missed, erased, or forgotten. There's no one to keep an ADD-challenged boss on track.

Posts: 4347 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Finally, we're remodeling our kitchen. I have the cabinets and granite picked out. I still have to find the wood flooring I want and the back splash. I'm debating on whether to keep my existing stove/oven which is about 5 years old or get a cook top and two wall ovens. Oh, and I have to find someone that actually removes wall paper.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
SpanishRevival, congrats on your new kitchen! This is another project we have on the 'back burner'. Smile My dh wants the wall ovens, explain why these are better than the combined cooktop & stove combo. We will definitely be changing from the glass cooking surface to gas. But your input on this will help me understand this cooking concept. My exemplar models of cooking have demonstrated both.

Having two projects being set on the same day was difficult for us. We were told that local operators were centralized to one city and there's a miscommunication of services set for us.

I also have another theory.....Many homes that have been damaged within our region may be receiving first attention. I keep telling myself this is the reason, and respect this situation. There are communities where the entire home has to be rebuilt. How many builders had to go there to help families reestablish their entire residence? We continue to receive correspondence that the materials have been ordered...next, materials have arrived....I'm quite patient.

Posts: 5056 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post