Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a new built (2 yrs old) and I have a mystery in my master bath. The ceiling is around 12 ft. There is large crown molding and then a gap (probably 6 inches) and the a piece of trim to cap it all off. The crown molding, gap and trip is painted while. The bathroom is painted teal. Under the the trim it apprears to be a shadow but it looks like it was wet at one time. It follows along all the walls in the bathroom just under the trim. I crawled in the attic and ddn't see any water coming in. If water was coming in from the roof, I would assume I'd see water stains on the ceiling or in the white painted area between the crown molding and trim. Do you think it's water condensation? My wife takes lengthy showers with the door closed ut the fan on. Settle this argument between the wife and I.

Posts: 263 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if it is an optical illusion created from the teal paint against the white trim. If the white trim paint has a sheen it could be reflecting the wall color. Is this a recent observation or something you have noticed since day one? It could also be due to the fact your lighting is low and/or shooting upward on such a high ceiling creating the shadow effect. If the line is even all under the trim piece it is most likely not a leak problem tho the condensation from steamy water could have reached there and because the wall color is a richly saturated color, it is noticeable. I would check to see if your fan is working efficiently.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18675 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've never noticed it before. Of course, we weren't looking. It rained hard last night and I guess my wife noticed it for the first time. It seems to be pretty even all the way around the room. I told her to leave the bathroom door open when showering and the fan on. So, I guess I won't worry about it unless I see it spreading.

Posts: 263 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've looked at it again and I don't think it's an optical illusion. There is a corner near the shower stall that it appears wider than the remaining walls. I can only assume it's condensation even though the mirrors don't steam over. Any other thoughts?

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I've had condensation stains similar to that after long, hot showers with the door closed and fan not running. I'd bet that's what you have. The stains had a drippy look to them - like glaze running down the side of a cake - and felt oddly sticky. They can be removed by washing with a strong solution of vinegar water.

Posts: 4513 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Is your fan working and if so, perhaps it isn't powerful enough. A friend who recently underwent a. Ath remodel experienced water drip along her ceiling line down the walls for this very reason.

Posts: 18675 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try the vinegar solution. It's not stick but it does look like it's glazed or a damp appearance. The fan does work since the mirrors don't fog over. Will the vinegar solution fade the paint?

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't. I used a 50/50 vinegar-water solution, and my paint was deep red. It didn't hurt it. But you should try it on a small, unobtrusive test spot to be sure.

Posts: 4513 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post