Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  I need to replace the floor in my laundry room....advise please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to replace the floor in my laundry room....advise please Sign In/Join 
Picture of michelle1538
posted
My laundry room has white vinyl (now yellow) the laundry room is 80 x 70 and the flooring in our kitchen is real wood so I want to stay away from a wood looking product.

I have no idea if the vinyl is glued all over or only at the sides....should I find that out first. It is a laundry room so at least once a year I have a incident with water on the floor...we just recently put a pan under our washing machine that drains to the basement wash tub (should have done that years ago) but our sink has no overflow drain so we have accidents every once in while. I am thinking of changing out the sink for this very reason.

I would like to DIY to save money.

We are handy I have looked at the Allure flooring but I don't know anyone who has tried to put it down. Is there a good peel and stick tile out there...the subfloor that is down is ok except for two pieces that meet in the middle of the room that are not even hence a bump....(I hope sanding will take care of this)

Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 1730 | Location: livin in the mitten | Registered: Mar 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TrafficMaster Allure product that HD sells is a very good DIY vinyl product. It's easy to install however, I'd suggest you have a heat gun or very heavy duty hair dryer available if/when you install it. By heating up the glue tabs you can soften the glue and slide the pieces together very tight and the seams will disappear. Without the heat the glue is extremely tough to work with.

Since you appear to have recurring problems with water, I would also suggest you consider putting in a waterproof sealant layer (you can buy roll-on rubber coatings, meant to use under wall & floor tile, in most flooring shops and home centers). If you apply that to the entire subfloor and up the wall 3" or so, you'd effectively turn the entire room into a huge pan. Then you could install a floating floor (like the Allure product) and baseboard mouldings to cover the coating. It would give your subfloor good protection so that it doesn't end up rotting out on you.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
We installed a ceramic (or porcelain?) tile floor in our laundry room which adjoins our wood floored kitchen. We did not spend a fortune on it as we found it in Lowes. It is holding up well, but I strongly recommend that you seal the grout. A threshold piece divides the two floors.

Tip:We always turn off the washer water supply when not in use as a safety precaution.

Posts: 18496 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of michelle1538
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone ..........and yes I do have a heat gun great advise. Should I practice putting two together first.

Posts: 1730 | Location: livin in the mitten | Registered: Mar 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you considering the vinyl planks that look like tile? Glue on 2 tabs? I have installed that and you do NOT need a heat gun. They fit together fine but you do need to roll them when you are finished with the floor. If that is not the flooring you are referring to... Well oops, never mind.

Posts: 6771 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the flooring, but I have to ask...
You don't really mean to say "80 x 70", do you? Eek
That's 3.5 times bigger than my entire house!

Posts: 4367 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The allure flooring is pretty nice for an application like this. We use it a lot in basements. Never tried the hair dryer or heat gun trick, but I would try it next time. Maybe avoid a heat gun, or use it on a very low setting to avoid melting the flooring. Another option, and highly recommended in a laundry room is ceramic tile. Can't go wrong with that.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of michelle1538
posted Hide Post
No it is only 70 inches by 80 inches. I would really like to put my washer and dryer in the basement and turn my laundry room into a sewing room....don't have a sewing room.......I would like to be able to close the door and ignore the mess I have created instead of it being all over the living room.

Allure has sticky tabs on two sides but the one I want is not a tile look it is an all over pattern like a marble I guess you would say.

What do you roll the floor with a rolling pin.

posted Hide Post
We rented a roller (forget the weight but I could not lift it in or out of the car) from the rental place but we did a large area. It may be more than you need for that small space but it should definitely be rolled. Along the very edge of my hallway you can see a couple spots that are slightly lifted because I did not get it rolled there, next to the wall. I do not think anyone notices but me and it does not cause any problems but it drives me batty.

You have to use something heavy. As you roll you will hear air bubbles burst. That is how you know you have applied the right pressure. A rolling pin could work if you are strong enough.

Posts: 6771 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of michelle1538
posted Hide Post
How about peel and stick floor tiles....
I just want to do it cheap and fast but I don't want to do it again in two years either.

There are all price levels for peel and stick tile I wouldn't buy the cheapest tile....

posted Hide Post
To touch on another side of your project and that is removing old vinyl floors.Many vinyl floor made in times past can contain asbestos you can check online if you know when it was put in and if it does follow proper steps in removal and disposing of old floor.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post