Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heating options Sign In/Join 
posted
We live in middle TN. My daughter has a small house that has no furnace or heating system. She also has a toddler. They can't afford to buy a furnace and have it installed. What would be the best alternative for them for a heating system until they can afford the furnace? It can't get hot to the touch because of the toddler. We have thought about portable baseboard heaters but the guy at Loews today said those didn't work well. The radiant heaters I think they are, stop working after constant use for a month or so. How about ceramic wall heaters or?? I am open to suggestions and hopeful that there are some alternatives that may work for them. Thanks for any suggestions!

Posts: 43 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Might be best to talk to your local energy providers for electricity and natural gas (if available). They can often be a source of true local cost effective heating.
Different parts of the country can each find various heating fuel sources more cost effective.

Electric space heaters that use ceramic can be effective for room based heat (for boosting comfort warmth), but insulation and weather stripping on windows and doors are what keeps that expensive heat inside too.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not knowing how much money you want to spend to install or operate, this suggestion may be too much. It actually is a permanent solution. It is usually referred to as a mini-split a/c unit but also can be bought with a heater. Fits in the wall with outside condenser.

If you buy small electric heaters remember that the maximum they can produce is governed by law so the least expensive produces the same heat as the most expensive. All things being equal do not overspend based on ads.

Posts: 7032 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly check it out. The house has no existing ducts so that is am issue as well. I'm not really sure of the budget..maybe $1500, but doubt that will be enough. I hope this goes through as I'm on my phone. I will check when i get home. Thanks again.

Posts: 43 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd opt for a permanently installed electric baseboards before I'd play with the portables. At least you wouldn't run the risk of overloading the electrical outlets and burning the house down.

Another possible option would be a pellet stove. If you find one that is intended for basement installation they typically don't have the glass windows in the door so exposed heat areas aren't a problem.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the baseboard heaters are what we should do for now. I thought the pellet stove was interesting..I'd never heard of it before...but it's a little pricey. I realize we're going to have to spend some money but I'm looking at the baseboard heaters as temporary for a year or maybe a few....who knows they may work fine and be what they use from now on. Thanks for your reply!!