Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  VCT Tile Installation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VCT Tile Installation Sign In/Join 
posted
My kitchen currently has peel and stick tile that is starting to come up in some areas. Where it is peeling up it looks like wood subfloor underneath. I am not sure about the rest of the floor.

If i peel up all the old tile in order to install VCT instead can you advise on ways to prep the surface? Does all the old glue need to be removed? If it is mostly level, can I just patch any small dings/rough areas? Thanks!

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you currently have peel & stick tiles then there shouldn't be any glue on the subfloor when you remove them. That said, it is possible that a few will tear and you'll have some bit/pieces stuck when you remove the main pieces. You
ll need a wide scraper to remove any of those. The subfloor, as with most any flooring job, needs to be free of any loose debris and as flat/smooth as possible.

With VCT, any nail heads or similar "pop-ups" sticking up from the subfloor will telegraph through the tiles once they are installed so look for them and take care of them while you are prepping the subfloor.

After you've got everything cleaned up, you can apply a floor leveling compound or floor patch to fill any dings/holes/low spots.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only things I can add is to use your hand to see if there is any residue anywhere. If so, remove it with a solvent. And, yes, remove any protrusions that might telegraph through. VCT is stiff and will bridge over a small depression.

I like VCT and have installed it several times. I always used the latex adhesive, applied with a notched trowel, per instructions on the can. There is now a good selection of patterns. If you don't see what you want at a store, special order to get another pattern.

Posts: 12190 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! to clarify, I just peeled one up and felt the floor underneath. It is definitely sticky, so I will probably see what type of solvent will remove this.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post