Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Downspout - water diversion- does this look right
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Downspout - water diversion- does this look right Sign In/Join 
Picture of jeepdarla
posted
We have had a cracked concrete porch removed and are having it replaced with composite decking.

The workers had to take away some dirt/rocks to keep the porch from ending up too high off the ground.

I asked them to be sure to divert the water from the down spouts well away from the house since this area in now a little low.

This is their solution. a down spout running out to an older wood deck. Wont this just cause a problem in that spot? What would be the correct way to handle this?

Be free with your thoughts and advice!

Posts: 3129 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3129 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
This is from earlier this summer - we had an older huge pool replaced with this smaller one...but this is what is beyond the questionable area...you can see the corner of the screen porch there.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Does the ground under the deck slope away from the foundation and not allow water to puddle under the deck?

I'm not impressed with their solution of dumping the water on to the top of the deck. I'd want the water to go under the deck and out to daylight on the ground, well away from the house. I would assume in KY that freezing conditions happen, having the water dump out on top of the deck right by the screened porch door just looks like an accident waiting to happen. I would kick the leader pipe out to the area in the corner where the new upper deck meets the existing lower deck.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6984 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there room to turn to run under the old deck? I would think that it would keep that wood too wet.

Posts: 7228 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sparky.

Definitely a little low under the structure. After this pic was taken I showed it to them and asked them to add more dirt/rock back..but I know they didn't put back more than a couple of wheelbarrow loads.

So, would they have to notch those boards to get the drain out over in that corner?

Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
And you are right - KY does have lots of freezing temps in the winter. The ground does freeze.

Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Metwo - yes it could probably go under the old deck. I just thought it should be draining to an uncovered area. Maybe not that important?

posted Hide Post
It would depend what is under the old deck. It should somehow lead out to the back yard so it doesn't stand around any structures.

Posts: 7228 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In theory, it was a good idea, and executed nicely. Until it spills out onto the old wood deck. If my guys wasted their time doing all that work, I would probably be furious at first, then really get a good laugh out of it, because they were trying to over-engineer it when it could have been handled very simply.It really should have ran through the deck and then underneath it to an area where the run off wasnt going to be in contact with so much wood or a general walking area. It also looks like that mound of dirt along the front of the newly framed deck isnt doing you a whole lot of justice when it comes to drainage issues.
Just my .02

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I really know nothing about any of this, but (aside from the drain pipe question, my very first thought was...won't there be rain dripping through the new boards onto the ground beneath? With the drainage problem as shown in the photo THAT water will not drain properly either without the proper slope.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7532 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post