Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  negotiating with contractor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

negotiating with contractor Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi,
We are in the planning process of remodelling our kitchen. Is it ok to negotiate with the contractor? Any tips on how to do that? Should we throw in how much our budget is?

Thanks.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mommylicious:

When I speak to potential remodeling clients, I must "qualify" you and learning whether or not your budget is realistic is the first step. I'm not going to waste time with people who want an entire kitchen done for $2,000.00.

If I determine that you've got a realistic idea of what things cost these days, I'll proceed to see if I would like to work with you with more questions. If we click, I'll be much more amenable to some minor negotiation.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly no harm in discussing the plans and negotiating on price. The comments above are very appropriate.

Posts: 12204 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I would call it negotiating, but certainly a good idea to let them know your budget if it is going to be a tight budget. Its not fair to you or the contractor if you have a $10,000 budget on a job that usually averages around $20,000, and the contractor goes ahead and does the leg work on a proposal without knowing this information. I personally have noticed over the past year or so that negotiating seems to be more popular now before signing an actual contract, where as, 6 years ago, I never saw it. Keep in mind that you are choosing a contractor based on experience, preference, referral, etc... and that piece of mind comes with a little bit of a price tag. So when comparing them to a contractors price that you don't ever plan on using isnt really fair to the contractor, so play it safe with the negotiations. As a business owner, I am not afraid to "earn" your business, but I also don't want to be insulted. Hope that helps some.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post