Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Need advise as to the color of wood floor.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advise as to the color of wood floor. Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi. Our 20+ year old tile floors recently started lifting and cracking...it turned out to be a bad case of "tenting" and we decided to replace them with either wood or laminate flooring (we have not yet decided). Our ceilings are wood beamed in a dark honey color (re-staining them is not an option). I have no idea what color wood would go best. Our house has a lot of light coming in, therefore dark colors are not an issue. I prefer dark rustic options.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Nya

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
We have natural white ash floors ( light color). They are 27 years old and we still love them.

While I also love the look of dark wood floors they tend to show every speck of dust, etc. So, it depends on how fussy you are about the care of the floor. My sister-in-law has dark wood and it is a constant pain to keep clean.

Posts: 3273 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your post.

posted Hide Post
Another +1 for natural white ash wooden floors. I grew up on them and love them. They tend to go with most color schemes but depending on your tones you could go for a little bit of a darker wood.

Lighter wood tends to hide the dust better as Grapefruit was kind enough to point out. Smile

Best of luck!

------------------------------------------
Unique collections of restoration style maps for a beautiful addition to your home decor!
http://restorationmaps.com

Posts: 18 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the good advise.

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
bring home samples...don't trust store light!

Posts: 8585 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wood floors have a formal, beautiful and warm look that is ideal for all kinds of rooms. Lighter wood colors are ideal for formal living rooms and dining rooms, while darker colors are good for kitchens and family rooms.

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post