HGTV Message Boards
Direct vent fireplace?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4774011632/m/3093966957

May 28, 2012, 05:55 AM
vixenhouse
Direct vent fireplace?
I have a blank outside wall, and the most amazing mantle. Can I have a direct vent propane fireplace installed there? What kind of firebox is needed? Do they come with them or do I have to have part of the wall removed. No chimney, so can't do a "proper" fireplace. Thanks all...
May 28, 2012, 06:58 AM
Sparky
Most, if not all, direct vent fireplaces are pre-fab "zero clearance" fireplaces. They come in natural gas and propane. Wood models require a flue that goes up to above the roof line. A zero clearance fireplace can be installed in just about any room along an outside wall, directly on the subfloor and against the existing drywall.

Here is a video on them: http://videos.howstuffworks.co...-fireplace-video.htm

For some reason the URL linking function wasn't working this morning on my PC. The video shows in new construction but they can be easily retrofitted. Google will give you many sites with more information.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

May 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
vixenhouse
Thanks, Sparky. That info helps.
May 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
vixenhouse
is there any particular brand better than the others? thanks.
May 31, 2013, 06:38 PM
vanessat
My mom was not really into a fireplace before, and I was the one who keep pushing her that I want a fireplace, then one of the father of my friend was also doing some house renovation so I asked him if it's better to have one? Then I he referred me to cumar for asking what would be nice. I think you can also ask some personal house renovator experts, it's not really cost that much and it's worth it.