Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Direct vent fireplace?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Direct vent fireplace? Sign In/Join 
Picture of vixenhouse
posted
I have a blank outside wall, and the most amazing mantle. Can I have a direct vent propane fireplace installed there? What kind of firebox is needed? Do they come with them or do I have to have part of the wall removed. No chimney, so can't do a "proper" fireplace. Thanks all...

Posts: 56 | Location: Okla/Vermont | Registered: May 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Most, if not all, direct vent fireplaces are pre-fab "zero clearance" fireplaces. They come in natural gas and propane. Wood models require a flue that goes up to above the roof line. A zero clearance fireplace can be installed in just about any room along an outside wall, directly on the subfloor and against the existing drywall.

Here is a video on them: http://videos.howstuffworks.co...-fireplace-video.htm

For some reason the URL linking function wasn't working this morning on my PC. The video shows in new construction but they can be easily retrofitted. Google will give you many sites with more information.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6858 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vixenhouse
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sparky. That info helps.

Posts: 56 | Location: Okla/Vermont | Registered: May 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vixenhouse
posted Hide Post
is there any particular brand better than the others? thanks.

posted Hide Post
My mom was not really into a fireplace before, and I was the one who keep pushing her that I want a fireplace, then one of the father of my friend was also doing some house renovation so I asked him if it's better to have one? Then I he referred me to cumar for asking what would be nice. I think you can also ask some personal house renovator experts, it's not really cost that much and it's worth it.

Posts: 1 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post