Message Boards


  • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Wood Paneling on walls????
Wood Paneling on walls???? Sign In/Join 
I hate wood paneling on walls, but this home I am eyeing, and think about getting has it. Now I live here in Houston, TX and the home is a 1977 home, yet I do not like wood paneling on walls. I want to remove the wood paneling however is there anything I need to look for or consider before making an offer on this home in regards to wood paneling on walls.

Much luv
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there drywall behind the paneling or will you have to add it? What is the thickness of the wood in relation to the drywall you will install (I am assuming that is what you plan on doing)? Will you have to adjust the trim or door frames?

I suggest you read up on what it entails to remove it.
Posts: 7036 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Ideally there is drywall behind it, but I would bet there isn't. If there is you'll likely need to do repairs on it or do another coat on the seams and sand.

If there isn't drywall the easiest fix is to paint it. You need to lightly sand it, prime and paint it. You COULD fill in the grooves with drywall compound but if there isn't drywall behind the panelling I'd fear that the compound would pop out if the paneling gets flexed at all by someone bumping into it or leans against the wall.

Another alternative is to cover it with wallpaper underliner. This is a heavy, paintable paper that you can apply to paneling or cinderblock walls to allow you to wallpaper them without drywalling it.

If you decide to drywall the house and the panelling is thin plywood based paneling you will need to redo the trim and very likely need to add a piece of trim to fill the gap between door jambs and window jambs and the casing since drywall is 1/2 or 5/8 inch thick and paneling is only about 1/4" to 3/16" thick.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6944 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before we put an older home up for sale--relative died and had a rec room with paneling, we paid someone to fill in the grooves, paint, etc. It would have been far cheaper to have torn it out and had someone install wallboard and it would have withstood any bumps etc. We installed carpeting and trim, there were problems with anyone who bumped the walls, etc.
Posts: 3191 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata    HGTV Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Remodeling  Hop To Forums  General Remodeling    Wood Paneling on walls????