I'm just curious if anyone has experienced mold in their homes, and what they had to do to have it removed? An episode of DESIGN ON A DIME showed that the walls did not have to be removed. We recently have been having a mold problem, I'm pregnant and I'm concerned for my family's health especially my baby's. We had someone come and take a look and he said he would have to remove the walls. Can anyone tell me if this method sounds legit and safe?
It would depend on how severe the mold issue and whether it has actually formed in and behind the drywall?
Areas of surface mold/mildew can be cleaned, treated and washed away. but if there was water damage to your home (like a roof leak or ceiling leak, shower tile damage, or the mold has been there so long it has penetrated grout to the back wall) then removal of all moldy surfaces, treatment, and replacing the walls is the right action.
Sometimes just a section of the drywall has to be removed to check behind it. It all depends.
You should get an estimate from another mold remediator. (did I spell that right?)
One experience I had some years ago in SoCA:
Water leak at a water heater caused high humidity in the older home, with lath and plaster walls. Wasn't discovered right away - long story - and there was mold everywhere; I could smell it as I walked in the front door.
Mold remediator company wanted to tear out everything, even the nearby tile shower, at a cost of about $40K! When we stopped laughing, we first replaced the water heater and moved it to a shed outside. Then rented a commercial dehumidifier. It took a while to get the humidity down, and we managed to salvage all the furnishings. To give you an idea of the extent of the mold, you could even see it on one bedroom window glass.
It was a real chore to clean up the place, but we managed to clean it up ok, without tearing out any walls. The owner moved out and the place was sold to a young couple with a couple small kids, and they were told of the mold problem. By the time they moved in, there was no longer any evidence of mold anywhere.
To relate to your situation, drywall can harbor mold better than plaster, and it might be a good idea to open up a wall somewhere just to check. Second, you are right to be concerned about your new child on the way. Exposure to mold can leave a person sensitive to it, even though it causes no immediate harm.
I am wondering how the mold situation developed in your place. Water leak? Roof leak? Is your area subject to high humidity? Is the mold all over the place or just in one room? Have you tried cleaning the area where the mold is most evident?
Added: Where are you? Your location can be important - and it is in this situation - so put your location in your profile as I have done.This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Fleming,
|Powered by Social Strata|