Message Boards


  • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Change wall in apartment
Change wall in apartment Sign In/Join 
I have a wall at my apartment with this wood paneling from the 70's that I want to hide. I'm looking for a material that's super lite and I can glue fabric to it or paint it. The wall is about 6 feet long and 8 feet high. I also need this to be removable.

Thanks for any help on this subject.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You can buy 4x8 foot sheets of Homasote. It is a brown paper (not styrofoam) sound insulation board and I have seen it used for tack boards often. So wrapping it with fabric would be easy or it can be painted also. Runs about ten dollars a sheet for half or 3/4 inch thick.

You could just tack it to the paneling or use a pressure sensitive tape to attach to the wall.
Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You could upholster squares of foam core and use double sided tape to hang each abutted in a grid fashion. Similarly, cork tiles may be affixed as another option.

You could possibly hang a rod or tension wire and fish fabric panels in soft folds to conceal the paneling.

You might conceal most by hanging an area rug.
Posts: 18757 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
A trick people used to do in military housing was to attach fabric to the wall with liquid starch. You soak the fabric in liquid starch and apply it to the wall. When you are ready to move or want to change the look, wet it and pull it down. Then you just need to wash the wall. Easy, and relatively no mess.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6987 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata    HGTV Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Remodeling  Hop To Forums  General Remodeling    Change wall in apartment