Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  New Kitchen Remodel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Kitchen Remodel Sign In/Join 
posted
Hey everyone! I just bought my first house, but it need a new kitchen. We are thinking of tearing down a wall to make it bigger. Problem is, I have no experience doing any type of remodeling. What should I do first?

The wall has hooks for washer and dryer (gas hook up), also the thermostat, a light switch and an outlet.

Where do I begin and is this a job for a pro? I am really good at figuring things out and following instructions.

Thanks!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is great that you want to learn remodeling BUT start with something smaller.

I am sure you do not know how to determine if it is a bearing wall. Besides the standard rough carpentry and drywall you would be dealing with gas and electric, potential deadly things.

I would leave this to the pros. But watch them from a distance and you may learn a few things.

Posts: 7291 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
jujudragon, Welcome to the Boards. I agree wholeheartedly with Metwo's advise. Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress. Marylee

Posts: 1502 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, thanks for the help! I've been watching "how to do" videos online for a couple of weeks already and thought I could take on this project.

We ended up posting an ad on craigslist and a lot of contractors and companies responded. A lot of people with good backgrounds and insured.

We are going to go that route, and I will be there to watch and help if they'll let me.

Thanks again!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hiring a contractor for a large project is the right way to go. When interviewing the contractors one of the questions you want to ask them about their insurance is do they also carry workman's comp in addition to just general liability. If they don't carry workman's comp and get injured while working on your project you can be on the hook for any medical bills. Probably not likely but is important to check for.

Here is an article about what to look for and what questions to ask when hiring a contractor.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ve no experience doing any type of remodeling. What should I do first?

The wall has hooks for washer and dryer (gas hook up), also the thermostat, a light switch and an outlet.

Where do I begin and is this a job for a pro? I am really good at figuring things out and following instructions.

I agree with everyone else and would recommend going with hiring a contractor.

Here is another link in addition to read through although I'm sure there is plenty more google can show you. Also the comments are a good read through. Smile
http://lifehacker.com/5578353/...ithout-getting-hosed

Best of luck!

------------------------------------------
Unique collections of restoration style maps for a beautiful addition to your home decor!
http://restorationmaps.com

Posts: 18 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We redo all our kitchen cupboards and wall paints. But this time we also use surface protection tape to protects it from scratches. You should also see some more applications of this tapes on their website: http://www.tuftape.co/products/surface_protection

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I basically agree with everyone here; getting a contractor is definitely the way to go, especially if the job involves electrical and gas components. Make sure to check references and license.

---

Founded in 1998, Choice Granite & Kitchen Cabinets company has been the leading choice for thousands of satisfied customers when it comes to Kitchen & Bath Remodeling in Los Angeles, Orange County, and most of Southern California.
choicegraniteinc.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Pasadena | Registered: Apr 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post