Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

led bulbs Sign In/Join 
posted
I got LED bulbs but they say 110 volts and all of my other bulbs say 120 volts will the 110 volt LED bulbs work .I don't want to open the sealed package as i cannot return them then .3 of the bulbs are to replace halogen bulbs that get to hot and the other bulbs are for a bathroom light fixture .I just want to make sure that these will work and figured an expert on here might make it more clear .I do understand that most 120 fixtures will go down to 110 volts .But not sure

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Typical voltage in the USA is around 110 VAC, your bulbs will be fine.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6941 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Only other problem is if you have an older incandescent dimmer to the fixture, and try to use standard led bulbs.

Posts: 9611 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that but wanted to make sure and the house has no dimmer switches and was built in 2004 .I just could not understand why all my other LED bulbs say 120 volt and these say 110 volt .is there a reason they do this .I bought these at Tmart .com because of price and notice that they have some that are 220 also .The price of them was so good that I decided to replace the rest of the bulbs inside my house .Why would an older dimmer not work with them .The base on them says e 27 which is supposed to be the same as an incandsent bulb .I thought the savings was worth the chance to try them as compared to most stores at 29 dollars a piece

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sissy77,

posted Hide Post
thank you so much for your fast response as now I am ordering more bulbs from them .The corn bulbs were 4 dollars a piece and are really bright and the energy savings will help .THANK YOU BOTH AGAIN for all your help

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Some LED bulbs are dimmable. I put a LED PAR light in my bonus room on a circuit with 6 other PAR lights and the dimming feature works fine. It doesn't dim at the same rate as the incandescent bulbs though. As the incandescent PAR lights burn out I plan to replace them with LED's.

CFL dimmable bulbs are very bad, I'd steer clear of them. They tend to step down in brightness rather than a continuous curve and on a mixed circuit they won't work very well.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6941 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had a dimmer switch .I just figure out how many bulbs and then step them down to lesser wattage to keep them from being to bright .I did see LED'S that say they cannot be dimmed though and they state it .I just figure these would be good for the price and with 200 lummens they are just right for the bathrooms .I am now going to order more from them since the cost is so low .I saw they have the recessed can light replacement .My recessed lights are right now cfl .I have the instructions for how and what I need to change them over .Right now I have 6 in the kitchen and 2 that shine onto the fire place .I wanted to change out the trim kit on them .The ones that came with them I don't like but stuck with them for now .I looked at changing them out but it is not cheap .I guess I will just take them down a respray them white .Not sure why with a white ceiling they would put off white on them .I cleaned them thinking they were just yellow but tag inside says cream color .

posted Hide Post
oh by the way noticed you are not far from me as i live in Axton VA .

posted Hide Post
now need to ask a question again as they sent me 1 bulb in LED that says 200 to 240 volts can you still use that in a 120 bulb base don't want to blow it out these are for lights in my basement and attic .The screw in part is the same .Thank you

posted Hide Post
Today LED lights have taken place of most of the light bulbs. LED is a semiconductor diode which emits lights with the help of electric current. LED bulbs are used for many purposes such as indicator lights in various electronic device, flashlights and area lighting device. Based upon the fixation area, The selection of voltage will be dependable.

led reflector design

light reflector design

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well yes LED lights have occurred of a large portion of the lights. Headed is a semiconductor diode which discharges lights with the assistance of electric current. Headed knobs are utilized for numerous purposes, for example, pointer lights in different electronic gadget, spotlights and range lighting unit. Based upon the obsession region, The determination of voltage will be reliable.

lillian hofstader

Posts: 4 | Location: 675 The Arches Cir, Lion Park | Registered: Jan 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post