Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  garage conversions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

garage conversions Sign In/Join 
posted
Looking to turn my garage into in-laws quarters within next 30 days, need to design space, add bathroom and kitchenette. help!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doing all that in 30 days is going to be a challenge!

What size garage? Two car 20x20?

Where do you live? Please put it in your profile as I have done so we won't have to ask again. Is this allowed where you live? Sorry to sound negative but I know Santa Ana, CA does not allow this unless you build a garage to replace it. Most places will require permits, at least for electrical and plumbing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Fleming,

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done quite a few of these types of conversions, and the key here is to make sure you are able to control the locks from your side of the house.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And your HOA may take more than 30 days to ok... city approval is faster in most places.
Are you hiring a GC or acting as one yourself? Many here can tell you that the wait list for a good gc can be long.
By posting your area alot of times you'll find someone here that can help with specifics.

Becky

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post