Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Added value? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I am curious about a future project. My wife would like to remove the shower/tub surround and convert it to just a large tile shower area. Of course, this would be nicely done. But, that means we would not have a tub in the house. I have checked with the inspections department and there is no code on the books that require that we have a tub in the house.

My question and concern is; would the removal of the tub add or subtract value from the residence?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would lower value, but how much is a good question. Personally we never use the fancy tub in our bath; it isn't all that easy to get into even if we wanted to use it.

In the new place we are shortly going to move to, the standard is a shower in the main bath and a shower over tub in the secondary bath. In the several places we have lived in, this seems to be the standard.

Think in terms of an elderly person or partly disabled person. For such a person climbing into a tub is very difficult. Stepping into a shower with a low curb is much easier.

Posts: 12207 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I will take your information into consideration.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think most people want a tub even if they do not use it. On the other hand I can see why wife wants to do away with it. We just moved from a house that had a 5' shower. It will be missed but at least we have a regular stand alone shower. Stepping over a tub edge is getting very difficult for both of us.

How long do you intend to stay in the home? Maybe it is worth a possible loss in value to have what you want for that length of time.

Posts: 7311 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
This the quandary we recently faced when weighing our master bath remodel. Our former bathroom had a small, dark shower and a lg. Jacuzzi tub with surround abutting it (seldom used I might add). We do have a tub with shower head in the main bath. We went to view a neighbor's bath remodel (same 8x11' w/vaulted ceiling) and were surprised to learn the current trend is to remove the tub and enlarge the shower in the master bath. She lowered her ceiling, added a water closet with pocket door and split the double sink vanity into separate his and hers w/medicine towers. The look was stunning, but the thought of possibly reselling in a few years had me fearful to go this route. I went about taking a survey of opinions and a number thought that if there was a tub elsewhere in the house, you can omit the one in the master bath. Still others admitted they expect a tub in the master bath even tho it will be seldom used. We opted to include a free standing tub, open up the shower and add much more lighting throughout. So far, I am pleased with my decision and anxiously await the tub instillation with it's fancy filler.

Do weigh your situation carefully and if resale is not in the near future, please yourselves knowing that your home is minus a tub and trends come and go. Still, with careful planning and space saving choices you too might have the best of both worlds such was my case. My tub will take up less visual space, my floor tile is large and on the diagonal, my shower has an open half wall with tall glass enclosure, raised ceiling and bright interior light all making the space appear larger than it is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18796 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post