Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Protecting wood floors (heavy furniture)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protecting wood floors (heavy furniture) Sign In/Join 
posted
I have new solid wood floors and I read the instructions on what NOT to do and it says don't use rubber backed floor mats , where do I find an approved vinyl rug underlayment and breathable rugs for my kitchen and in front of outside doors that won't move.

Also under large furniture, queen size sofa sleeper, lazy boy chairs what do I put under them?

Thanks!

Posts: 859 | Registered: Mar 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that special felt pads (some made with all natural rubber for non slip) are okay for finished wood floors? These can be used under furniture legs as well as under throw rugs. At least this is what my DD has had for the past 7 years, no damage.

I would probably check with a local flooring store for pads that are guaranteed safe, rather than taking a chance on a vinyl/sticking type of pad that would leave a pattern on your wood.

Posts: 9632 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The felt pads for the furniture legs come in many sizes and are available at discount stores and the big box stores.

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the smaller ones for table and chair legs but what about larger furniture,lazy boy chair things like that.
Thanks!

Posts: 859 | Registered: Mar 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to this site and see what is available and where to find them. A multitude is available.

https://www.google.com/search?..........0.ftzK-iJfjB8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 731 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The felt pads can be purchased in larger sizes for under throw rugs.
So then you could just cut them to fit whatever the shape of the chair gliders or legs of the furniture. Might hot glue them the the overturned chair legs and sit it back up, if it is difficult to set in place on a pad?

Posts: 9632 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years ago, it was a real mess in our home. The heavy furniture keeps damaged our wooden floor. Then we found a website which provided a permanent solution of this mess. The protection tape protects our wooden floors from scratches and stains. Here is the website: www.tuftape.co/products/surfac...ated_uncoated_metals

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At our last place we had a large, heavy, and top-heavy cabinet that had to be moved occasionally. Went to Home Depot and got a four-pack of "sliders", about 5-6" diameter; they were not expensive. Looked like pieces of carpet. Tipped the cabinet enough to get the sliders under the four feet, and away we went! No harm to the solid wood flooring that had been refinished recently.

We later loaned the sliders to a neighbor who was moving and they had the same results. We still have these sliders and use them occasionally.

Posts: 12191 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob, I have even left the "sliders" under the back of the couch, back of the heavy hutch, back of the upright freezer....you get the idea. Don't show, not uneven but sure makes it easier to move.

love life

Posts: 1538 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post