Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Must guest bathroom have door to hallway?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must guest bathroom have door to hallway? Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a 2 bed/2 bath condo. The second bedroom is a guest bedroom/home office. As you can see from the attached floorplan, the second bathroom situation is awkward. There is a big dead space as soon as you enter the bathroom, and the second bedroom closet is attached to the second bathroom, not the second bedroom.

For a relatively small expense, I can remove the second bedroom hallway and have the second bathroom open directly into the second bedroom, thereby expanding the bedroom by three feet. The problem is that I would eliminate the public access to the second bathroom and require guests to walk through the second bedroom.

So what's more valuable, a larger second bedroom with a private bathroom or a smaller second bedroom with a publicly-accessible bathroom?

Floorplan

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It is a bit awkward of a layout for the bath. Since you just have the two bathrooms, I think I would try very hard to have the guest bath accessible from the hall or outside the guest room.
My thought? Not a big deal to have a house guest use a hall bath, more of a big deal to have anyone else track through either bedroom (when occupied) to use a restroom?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I saw your post over at DIY as well and can't argue with the advice you got there, check with a real estate agent.

That said, to me a lot of the determination would be in how you use your second bedroom. It is used as a guest room for somewhat frequent guests, or as a home office, exercise room, storage or whatever.

The extra room would be nice, and it would almost make the condo a dual master suite unit. If you were single and looking for a little extra income by getting a roommate this would be a real plus. The layout as it is does seem rather strange with what appears to be the guest room closet located in the bathroom. Without major reconfiguration, meaning not cheap, I don't see how that can be fixed. With some major reconfiguration it could be changed around to give you direct access to the bathroom from both the bedroom and the hallway, a larger bedroom with a closet right in the bedroom.

If you're in a condo, there are likely many units just like yours. Have any of the owners done any reconfiguration like you're proposing?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I think it's a good idea to add that extra 3 feet from the hallway. Have you thought about using that as your new master bedroom? Then you could open up the other bathroom to the entry hall. That could then become your guest bath.

Or, if you want to continue to keep the bedroom assignments as they are, you could rework the two closets to the right of the entry so guests could enter the guest bath from that direction. Looks like you'd still have room for a shallow sliding door closet along the exterior wall.

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Annett:
I think it's a good idea to add that extra 3 feet from the hallway. Have you thought about using that as your new master bedroom? Then you could open up the other bathroom to the entry hall. That could then become your guest bath.

Or, if you want to continue to keep the bedroom assignments as they are, you could rework the two closets to the right of the entry so guests could enter the guest bath from that direction. Looks like you'd still have room for a shallow sliding door closet along the exterior wall.

Interesting thought Annette, giving access to the current Master Bath instead. The second bath doesn't have a tub but how many of us use the tub on a daily basis anyway?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm reading your drawing correctly, the current master has the better location within the unit - away from the front door and laundry area, possibly attached to a terrace or balcony. I would leave that as is.

From a RE standpoint, I would not reconfigure the 2nd bedroom, if it eliminated guest access to the bathroom. Doesn't appear that you'd add enough space to the 2nd bedroom to make it worthwhile. The doorway (with access to the 2nd bathroom) is already right there, making the 2nd bedroom nearly an ensuite. And, it's on the other side of the unit from the master. I would leave it as-is - just don't believe it'd be worth the cost.

What is the "relatively small" expense? Why did you want to do this project? What's the problem you're trying to fix? Doesn't sound like you have a roommate, currently.

Doubt you'd recoup your remodeling costs on resale, if you did the job. Plus, the unit might be more difficult to sell, compared to other units within the building.

Good luck with your project - it's all JMHO.

Or, what if you placed a new door* to the 2nd bedroom suite in the open doorway (just down from the washer/dryer, next to the inset), eliminating both the current bathroom and bedroom doors? You could change out the current bedroom door to a hidden, sliding door, i.e. pocket door, but the (current) bathroom doorway would be open for both guests and a roommate. Guests wouldn't need to walk through the 2nd bedroom and it would essentially be another ensuite.

*Hopefully you could reuse one of the previous doors.

Good Luck!

P.S. Does the master have access to the terrace or balcony, if that's what the space adjacent to the living room is? Looks like the master just has a window to that space. From a RE standpoint, that might be the better project - changing out that window to a door.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I usually post over on the Real Estate Boards/Home boards but saw your thread and thought it was interesting ~ forgive me if I am repeating anything that has already been posted but I see a third option here if you are willing to do some renovation that might achieve both goals of enlarging the 2nd bedroom and yet still leaving the 2nd bedroom toilet available to guests...

From my understanding of the floorplan, you could close off the 2nd bedroom and gain three feet or so just as you are thinking BUT put up a new wall (with door- maybe a recessed sliding one?) between the shower and toilet. That way the bedroom would gain space, retain access to the shower, one sink and yet the toilet and other sink would still be accessible for guests from the entry hallway.

Would that be something to think about? Possible? Or would the plumbing be an issue? If it would work, expense would be minimal and space gained would be a benefit. Post back ~ interesting dilemna.... Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post