Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Condensation??? Sign In/Join 
posted
My bathroom is roughly around a 100sf. The paint is a teal color. The house is 2 years old. The problem? I have what appears to be greasy stains under the crown moulding (all horizontal and uneven-no more than an 1/8 thick). It's not the light playing tricks with shadowing, it looks like a thin line of grease. I noticed today that the wall closest to the shower has a vertical faint line that goes from the top of the wall about half-way down and then going vertical. This faint line is even like it was drawn on with a pencil. My first thought was that the 2 x 4 underneath was bleeding through. I have to admit that in the past I didn't always use the fan when showering, but it doesn't get that hot in the room anyway. The mirrors don't have moisture on them and it's not steamy in the room. Any thoughts as to what is causing this? I use my fan daily but I'm worried about this new vertical line. The horizontal stains under the crown moulding hasn't gotten any worse. Thank you.

Posts: 263 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long shot but I have heard of something like this caused by bees invading the wall inside. If they set up a nest inside the wall, it could leave something that looks like a grease stain.

Do you see any bee activity outside that area?

Posts: 12197 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Not at all. I've been in the attic and haven't seen any bee activity.

Posts: 263 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you think painting over the stains would resolve the issue?

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You say you do run the exhaust fan now, which is a good plan. Do you know if the exhaust is vented properly to the outdoors (or just into the attic space). There should be a vent tube (without open seams) that directs the moist air to the outdoors through a wall or roof vent.

If the vent tube is not sloped correctly or has a hole or open gap where connections are made or if it lays above the insulation, and moist air freezes, then thaws and drips out one of those spots it still could be following a stud down behind your drywall. Do you happen to have steel studs or wood?

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something that you might consider and may be addressed by others that know more than I do.

Is it possible that some type of glue was used in putting up the crown molding and that is what is causing the problem?hwat made me wonder is the thin uneven line to which the paint may not be adhering.

I would not repaint until you know what it is. Or at least be sure to put stain kill on it.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have wooden studs in the home. I can only assume the fan is vented correctly. The stain follows around each wall. I'm certainly no expert but wouldn't it be in just one place if dripping?

posted Hide Post
Can you post a px of what you are seeing?

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pictures won't show what the issue is. It appears like a shadow under the trim.

posted Hide Post
We had this on our dining/front room wall. (sounds the same) Open concept and when I would sit at the bar in kitchen I always noticed it looked like something running down the wall in a few places. We wash our walls with the Murphys oil soap once or twice a yr. I we thought maybe it wasn't washed off well. So then we washed those spots with just water. Seems to be gone but.... It was on Candlelight paint, and as I am typing my hubby is painting a Dark Chocolate on them. I was wondering about it when we chose the paint.

Posts: 664 | Location: Ashley, IL | Registered: Feb 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post