Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Linoleum on basement stairs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linoleum on basement stairs Sign In/Join 
posted
We have linoleum on our basement stairs....it has the metal strip on the corners of the steps. Probably how houses were built in the late 60's. So, my question is, could I paint the old linoleum or would the paint just wear off? If paintable, what sort of paint.

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yes you could paint it, and yes it would probably wear off in time, depending on use.

Thorough cleaning and removing any wax or finish would be the first step in paint prep. Then a great sticking primer, on the clean dry steps.

I did this on a concrete floor, but know others who have done similar on linoleum. I used Zinser 1 2 3, (as it is a waterbase primer). Then 2-3 coats of a good quality floor enamel paint. If you can avoid a solid, dark color, any wear marks are not going to show right away, and it will be easier to touch up? Whatever color you use, you can get some universal tints of the same mixture from the paint store. Sherwin Williams have given me free ones if I carry in a baby food jar for them. I used 2 solid coats then sponged and splattered the same color (just a tad bit lighter and darker) over the top in a random pattern. I repeat, This was over a concrete floor, not linoleum...but should work for you too.
Finally I did two coats with a clear polycrylic or even an Acrylic floor coat could work. This was in an art studio, and has held up really well for more than a decade.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The linoleum I have on the steps is really ugly IMO. Good to know painting it can be painted. I was afraid the paint would not stick, but with a good primer should work..

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I am assuming that they are wooden steps? Could you just remove the linoleum and paint the wood?

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Grapefruit's idea could work, but often the stairs are rougher construction when they were planned to be covered (the linoleum probably wraps the tread, and down the riser to the next step). When you add a vinyl/linoleum adhesive to remove after the actual flooring...it can get pretty labor intensive. I would attempt the painted linoleum myself. Carpet and pad could be an appropriate solution also.

We have carpet and pad on our basement stairs. Unfortunately really high quality, dark green carpet...that was here when we moved to the house back 30 years ago. No wear evident...so will just clean it again and sell it with the house, I guess.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
if you are sure they DON'T have asbestos you might want to go to that mess of removing, but painting sure sounds like a good alternative...

now if you could just get my ds1 to replace the hand rail on his stairs.....

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad is right....the steps are rougher construction, meant to be covered. The steps are curved in the back corners and have metal corners on the front....does that make sense?I thought of the carpet and pad (covering everything) but afraid a person might trip and fall, and there is the extra effort of vacuuming. So, I have come to the conclusion that painting is the best. Cleaning the metal tread or getting new and painting the linoleum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life