Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

carpenter please Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi,
I'm not sure where/who to ask but does anyone know of a good carpenter in northern VA area? We want to completely re-do our kitchen. Thanks,Emily

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
You probably want to work with a kitchen and bath design professional to come up with a design for your space.

If you're looking to expand the footprint or move walls around you might want to try a design build firm or an architect first. I lived in NoVa 18 years ago but don't know of anyone to refer you to. I'd start with friends, neighbors, family and coworkers that may have done some remodeling for references and Angie's list.

I'd get several bids, probably 3. Comparing them can be a challenge because of what they spec out, what is included and what is excluded from the potential contract. Don't assume the high bid is over charging, the low bid could be missing details that will come back as a change. Grades of cabinets vary widely as do the prices. You also don't want to over-improve for your neighborhood. I know prices in NoVA are higher than the rest of the country but you don't want to stick $100K into a kitchen when your neighbors all have $20K kitchens. The higher the value of your house the more you can spend without over improving. Talking with a real estate agent can be helpful in this process, they'll know what is expected in your area should you go to sell.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Caroline88543,
my advice is, do not go with small companies. Visit your local Home Depot or Lowes Home Improvement and they have their own contractors that the company feels comfortable with to recommend their customers.
If you have a problem, you can always go back to the company and get the problem solved, fixed, replaced or change all together at not expense to you, that happened to me twice and with Lowes Home Improvement, they went out of their way for me to be happy when I had my kitchen counters replaced and cabinets.

On the other hand, I put hardwood floors in the living room and dining room with an small company, trying to give the little people the business, and they did a good job but the "quality of wood" was very, very bad so now you can see any scratch or mark on the floor, and you go back to them to see what they can do and you do not get any response at all so unfortunately go with the BIG companies so you don't have a "BIG HEADACHE" in the process. And did I said how much money you invest and then here comes the disappointment.
I hope this helps you any!!!!!

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I can't endorse Tinker Bell's advice. I've had some good work done by Home Depot and Lowes but I've heard plenty of horror stories as well. It all depends on how well the district or local Home Depot or Lowes managers screen their contractors. Nearly all of the people doing installation work for big blue or big orange are contractors not employees of the store.

I've worked with a number of local contractors here from HVAC repair, to tile work, hardwoods and garage door repairs. Referrals are where it is at, who have your friends, family, coworkers and neighbors used with good results.

Also, this is probably not the best board at HGTV to post this type of question. It doesn't get much traffic. These types of questions would be best in the home improvement and remodeling section towards the bottom of the board.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try houzz.com. there is a link on the first page of their website that says 'find local pros'. That's a good place to start, then you can filter by type.

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post