Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where oh Where has Jack and Linda gone?!?! Sign In/Join 
Picture of GreenAlice
posted
Well I finally watched the smarthome special...and while I fast forwarded through much of it...I saw no Jack or Linda....seemed more like an infomercial on a techy home....not really focused on being green per se, but the home's gadgets to make life easier? I like the home but miss the greenhome and the people behind it....then thinking the Dreamhome is becoming more green? Sigh....personally? I still feel fine turning my own lights on and off manually as well as my blinds!Cool

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7303 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Hi GA!

I suppose that gadget-y stuff *could* be green if used in the right way. F'rinstance: to raise / lower shades to block the sun when you are not home.

But I think it is mostly for convenience. And, of course, great fun for geek-y types like me.

Basically, tho', how many different "Green" things can you do before it starts getting ho-hum boring. With green tech becoming more common, they have to do something to distinguish it from the Dream House.

- J

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

We're goin' on a Bear Hunt.
We're going to catch a Big One
I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1032 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Well I googled Linda and see that she comments on the mini videos of the Smarthome....her comments on why she chose what she did, I guess I will have to read through those to feel closure....Wink

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Hi JSB! Long time no see....yes I know exactly what you mean about the two becoming more the same...but to me it was twice the fun for the year....I still would love to see Linda decorate a home DARK green....mostly because that is what truly appeals to me. Now that being said, I recently priced a LEE furniture sectional as she used that in Greenhome #1 and it was a few thousand more than my Calico Corners quote.... Eek I like to know whats out there for dreaming.....Big Grin

I guess it would be nice if you could program the shades to retract and lower at different times during daylight if you were busy busy busy and not at home but still wanted to save time running around adjusting them. My home is so small it's only one side that needs such and it takes a whole 1 minute to do the ol' fashioned way...Razz Big Grin

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Since we only fiddle with the So & W facing shades and that's only UP in the winter DOWN in the summer & @ night, the sahde thing is rather a frill...

What captures my attention is the ability to control the house from one device (tablet) and to be able to bring that with you. Control of the heat set-back, settings for lights on/off to simulate being @ home; that kind of thing.

I suspect it's a bit like having a Smartphone. Seems like overkill until you get one, then you discover all the neat things you can do on the go & wonder how you ever lived without.

- J

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

We're goin' on a Bear Hunt.
We're going to catch a Big One
I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1032 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSB
...With green tech becoming more common, they have to do something to distinguish it from the Dream House.- J

One item of significance is the need for a back-up electric system for all the automatic and remote operations, and 12 KwH of power generator is probably a minimal size unit. A propane/nat gas generator would be preferable, since gasoline storage is such a ditz in this humid/hot climate.
The induction stove is great until the power is off; gas fireplaces need 24 volt igniters. This smart type house does need a generator.

Posts: 3140 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Well I do think it would be incredibly awesome for my gf and neighbors who suffer from the effects of MS and MD.....I know one of their lifelines is the computer for accomplishing so many things....and many of these features would be so awesome for them for this very reason...sure I hate getting up after going to bed wondering if I put the a/c or heat on RUN vs HOLD for the program....but at least I can do it.

Yep Tango I was wondering what happens when the power goes out....can you still manually lower blinds etc?

It is a beautiful home....and I still was missing Jack and Linda from having their 10 minutes or so of airtime!!!Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenAlice:
Yep Tango I was wondering what happens when the power goes out....can you still manually lower blinds etc?

Well, Ms. Alice, I don't rightly know! The tourers will have to get to that question.
Later,
TangoW

Posts: 3140 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I am loving all the neat gadgets, but surely you could also do them the old fashion way as well.I bet we will see jack and Linda at winners weekend video as they always love to show what they have done for the winners.

I just rewatched all the video's. Pretty neat! Smile

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5550 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did Linda Woodrum decorate this house ? I f she did she did a fantastic job .. Not so much clutter as her dream homes are. simply love this house but overdone on the blue ...

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
She did a wonderful job didn't she Edith Ann?

I love it!!! Smile

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5550 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post