Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   HGTV Contests & Giveaways
Hop To Forums   Smart Home 2013 in Jacksonville, FL has ended
  How do I remove a stuck plunger in a bathtub drain? The drain lever for t
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I remove a stuck plunger in a bathtub drain? The drain lever for t Sign In/Join 
posted
The drain lever for the bathtub is stuck, so the water won't drain. I unscrewed the face plate for the lever and their is a chain that connects down to the plunger or stopper (whatever you call it).

I can't pull the plunger out. It's stuck. Should I pull harder? I'm afraid the chain connected to it might break.

There is an access panel on the wall on the other side. There is this big pipe. I'm afraid to take a wrench to open those pipes up.

Should I just call a plumber?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aadambas,

aadam bas

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
There are so many different types of tub drain configurations, I am guessing this is why no one has ventured a guess. A picture could certainly help.

If you have not gotten it resolved yet, perhaps take a photo of the drain and overflow port and carry it to a local plumbing supply shop. I am betting they can tell you how to release it, in the easiest way.

Posts: 9610 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might try:
Put an inch or so of water in the tub.
Take a toilet plunger and try to "draw up" the stopper. This might take a number of tries; or perhaps a bit more water for suction action.
Then place a piece (metal?) under the stopper's lip to hold it open a bit.
Then Adam, get yourself an education in tub plumbing, and
good luck. :>)

Posts: 3159 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
isn't amazing this has a lead to bathtubs???

Posts: 8528 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
isn't amazing this has a lead to bathtubs???

The MB world is a facinatin' one, indeed.
How's it going, adam?

Posts: 3159 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Everytime I have a problem with the house I go to Ace hardware..truly have been a lifesaver for me as repair people are costly.

Posts: 9253 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yes, the link was not there when we first responded. Tricky...added the link later/yesterday evening.

aadambas does not want to go to ACE, he/she really just want someone to shop on their bathtub link. Don't bite.

Posts: 9610 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of one-time, hit-and-run visitors.
The company is Canadian, in this case, incidentally.
Cheers.