Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

paint colors Sign In/Join 
posted
Ok, so I just fell in love with the exterior door color and kitchen island. But, when I went to S.W., the colors were nothing like what's online. "Watery & Drizzle" had no Aqua to them at all. They are more a greenish-gray. Help.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Different Computer Monitors can really vary in what colors you will see in an on line view/site. Just as the type of lighting (natural, incandescent, fluorescent, halogen) used in an area can also alter the paint color look to some degree.

Posts: 9441 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
The colors are neat, I love them. When you paint a room ,the colors can appear different on different walls dependent on the light.

I do believe the color as described has green tone as the paint you found, but on computer appears more blue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nursejudy,

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5556 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually went to SW and picked up the paint swatches. Nothing like what I have seen on TV.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
As you probably also know? Paint chips (small samples) from the paint store, never truly look the same as when a whole wall or room is painted too. And of course what colors are adjacent to the target colors can affect the hues dramatically.

Posts: 9441 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely understand, but, I am expecting some sort of resemblance to a blue, not gray-green. Wink

posted Hide Post
The paint colr become different when actually applied as on color book. This happen because of mixure of oil and white color when painted. The silver color maintain its color for whole room.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smith46,

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
It is also helpful to get a small (sample can, low cost) and put a small amount in several areas so you can see how the paint looks against all the things affecting color that smith48 mentioned such as light, what colors are surrounding it, etc. They all make a difference. You have to remember that colors never look the same on TV or video as well. Now the ocean can look shades of blue or green and beach is what smarthome colors are patterned after. Here in So. Cal most of our beach water looks more green tone, but can look blue when reflected with the light. now you go somewhere like Catalina Island or Hawaii and you definitely have blue water. Always make test patches of your paint on the wall before you make a final decision.

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5556 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post