Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

paint question Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Does anyone know (Conrad?) of a way to thicken up thin paint?

I have bought 3 gallons of very inexpensive paint at our discount store. 8.99 per. DH opened one can to paint on the outside of our house. It was too runny and he could not use it.

We had to go to the Benj Moore store to buy the paint and I asked the clerk if there was any way to thicken the paint. He said such additives were now against the law. Any other advice?

Posts: 12136 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
I am thinking you can't return it? That's too bad....will be watching this one to see if there is a solution. Frown

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7638 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If mixed well and still thinner than it should be, I sure would return it. You want good coverage, and when paint is too thin, that does not happen easily. One way that can possibly get thin, is if they tinted it very dark (adding lots of liquid pigment) without using a dark base in the first place?

Since you said you purchased at a discount store, I am wondering if it was a factory problem or possibly returned after someone added liquid?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The paint we tried to use was white. I have very successfully bought paint at this store before.

It is not a paint store but a general and unspecific salvage and supply store. You know things from stores damaged by fire, hurricane etc or else overbuys etc. It is a wonderful place to get terrific bargains but everything is not a home run.

Picture of Trudi
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2042 | Location: N.C. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much. I will try the hydroethyl cellulose. We have three different gallons!

My new knowledge for the day! This is the area we (well DH) were painting. He thinks the house is saying, "thank you, thank you) when he works on it! I am very thankful that in our late 70's we are still able to do such work. He also had to replace about a foot depth of clapboards!