Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

painting tile Sign In/Join 
posted
we bought a home that the tile in the desk area was painted RED and turned it into a bar area. I hate the red and am wondering it I can paint over the red. I don't know what kind of paint they used. It is a rough porus tile like you can buy at Lowe's or HD. No smooth finish on it.
I don't think removing the red is possible but can you paint over it? The tile was (is) the same as the back splash in the kitchen area.
They also painted the cabinets Black! I love the color of the orginal cabinets. to bad they painted them too. You can see them in the pic. I can live with the black but not the red!! Help!!! Thanks

OMG sorry it's soo big!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1773 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You "might" be able to strip the paint off with a chemical stripper, but the effort might be way more than you want?

I would probably just clean them well and get a good sticking primer, then paint over. Might eventually plan to replace the entire tile area, as it cannot work that well for a desk anyway. While you are at it, perhaps prime and do the black wood area too with a similar or complimentary color combo?

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Carlene

Posts: 1773 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have painted over tile and looks great. Go to your paint store (we went to Lowe's) and tell them what you want to do. They will sell you a good sticking primer. When that is dry you can use a paint of your choice. We used satin (white)

love life

Posts: 1564 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Noel Trent
posted Hide Post
May the defect is in the paint, you can do a complain to the paint store from where you have brought the paint. Ask them to give you a best paint which is suitable for painting the tiles.

Posts: 19 | Location: USA, California, San Jose | Registered: Aug 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post