Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Faux Finishing & Painting
  Chalk paint for furniture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chalk paint for furniture Sign In/Join 
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted
Have any of you tried to use the homemade chalk paint? I tried a recipe by a blogger using 1 part plaster of paris to 4 parts paint. It is a gritty mess! The first time I tried it on a little child's chair, I used unsanded grout and it worked so much better. I guess I will have to sand it off and start over. This blogger said that plaster of paris worked the best for her. Hard to believe! Anyone with any experience with the homemade stuff, please post it.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
I've been debating redoing my kitchen cabinets with chalk paint so I've done some research lately. I too was going to make my own using the 3:1 ratio. Did you mix the plaster of paris with about 2-3 tablespoons of water first before adding the paint? It should be the consistency of sour cream. I read somewhere that mixing the paint directly into the POP will make a gritty mess.

Posts: 1321 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
jo-CT you did your research well. I didn't mix it right, I just dumped everything in there together. I had done a lot of research on it too and forgot that step. I should have gone back and reviewed what I read! It is a gritty mess. To me it would be much easier to paint something with primer, then put on your topcoat and distress if you want to. I am glad I started out on a little table although it did have a lot of crooks and crevices in it. I spent a lot of time sanding on it after it dried to get the grit off.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help. I have never used CP and I'm sure I'm taking on too big of a project in my kitchen so I'll start small with an old buffet that I have! I'm totally amazed with the CP kitchen makeovers that I see on pinterest. Maybe it will be my winter project!

Posts: 1321 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anneyland
posted Hide Post
I am considering painting an old oak kitchen table with chalk paint...can you guys explain to me exactly what is chalk paint, what is the finish like, do I HAVE to use wax on it?

Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself also in the Lord and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 922 | Location: Longing for the beach | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Anneyland, you can buy chalk paint or make your own. Two brands that I know of are Anne Sloane and the other is CeCe Caldwell. However, they are very expensive.......around $38 a quart. So people are making their own and like it just as well unless you are like me and make it wrong. Here is one recipe I got from Home Depot paint dept.

1/2 c. hot water
1/2 cup plaster of paris
1-1/2 cups of satin latex paint

Mix the water and plaster of paris first! Then add it to the paint, stirring well.

You can do a search for other recipes. You can buy plaster of paris cheaply.

--Mel Weldon

Picture of anneyland
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hammerhugger....I didn't realize it was so expensive..had not shopped it yet.

Soooo.....here's my next question...since this is a kitchen table, do I need to wax...or do you put a poly on to keep the paint from scratching so much...I have about 7 grandkids..ha!

Also, do I need to prime first like I would do anyway if I were just painting with regular paint?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself also in the Lord and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 922 | Location: Longing for the beach | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
On some furniture you might have what they call bleed through so I would prime it. I think it just would save some headaches for a piece that would get used a lot. I would say that poly would be more kid proof than wax. But make sure you get a water based poly or it will turn yellow! You might need several coats for the top, probably at least 3. The best thing I have used to apply it is a paint pad. The are usually about 4 or 5 inches wide and have a dense short nap.

I hope that answers your question,

--Mel Weldon

Picture of anneyland
posted Hide Post
Yes it does answer all my questions...thank you so much for all the information and tips! You have been a great help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~