Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Faux Finishing & Painting
  Using exterior paint inside.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using exterior paint inside. Sign In/Join 
Picture of indycatCarol
posted
Is there a problem with using exterior paint inside? Found a 5 gallon miss mixed paint, reg. $124 for $35 at Lowes.
I know you wouldn't use interior paint outside but what about exterior inside?

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3438 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
There may or may not be issues with doing so. The cost savings would not tempt me to chance it. Labor (prep and application) is the hard part of the painting project, so I will always spring for the quality/appropriate paint.

Years ago we used exterior trim paint on a bathroom door, and it was fine. Trim exterior paint often has a hard sheen/coating/finish. By contrast, Flat exterior paint is often made to chalk off in the rain/weather and many now have an added mildewcide that can give off odors, so I would probably pass on it, and get a proper interior paint.

Posts: 9446 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an expert on paint but cannot think of a reason why it would not work. I say go for it. It is only paint.

Posts: 6750 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I used exterior paint for my family room. I had two little boys at the time, and wanted something that I could scrub. Worked very well. Just make sure there isn't any lead in the paint.

love life

Posts: 1435 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Everyone has different experiences doing this, and it can sure depend on the paint and ingredients in it.

I did an on line search and came up with probably more No's than Yes's? I would do your own search before using it.
Never was a fan of Bob Vila, but you might do a check below?
http://www.bobvila.com/posts/8...nside-my-home?page=1

Posts: 9446 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exterior paint might have a higher VOC content and therefore stronger and longer lasting odor problems when used in a confined interior space.

Posts: 734 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post