Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Faux Finishing & Painting
  Painting over Wallpaper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting over Wallpaper Sign In/Join 
posted
How do you feel about painting over wallpaper. I've always understood it was a no-no. Now I have friends telling me don't do it but I have had others tell me it is ok. The wallpaper has been up about 15 years, is in good shape (not falling down or ripped)and the painter said he would do it either way. If he paints over it he will put Kilz on it first then 2 coats of paint. I don't think it will be had to take down because the professional that put it up said he "treated" the walls before he put the paper up. Anybody had any experience either way?

Thanks,

Posts: 313 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did it years ago and looked fine...the seams in the wallpaper did show up but it wasn't a problem. Last year a friend painted over her bathroom paper and it was seamless (the paper) and looks very good. The only thing I have heard is that if you paint over wall paper it is very hard to remove if you decide to go that route later.

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I would remove it, rather than paint over. Seams could always show through later, and I would not take the chance of a bigger job down the road.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done it and won't do it again. The seams did show through (at least to me). Within a year I was tearing it all down. It was no harder because of the paint.

In another house we could not get the paper off. The biggest piece was the size of my thumbnail , ugh! We skim coated and then painted.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Guess it's coming down.

Posts: 313 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, so much for knowing what's under the wallpaper. My husband started taking off the wallpaper in our bath and found the original wallpaper under it. So the job has become bigger than we thought. Oh well, we have time to get it off and better to find out now. Really glad we decided not to paint over what we thought was a single layer. Guess we just forgot the original paper wasn't really removed.

posted Hide Post
Two layers of paper, twice the work. But worth it, I am sure.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Haven't read all the responses but if this is your own home DO NOT DO IT. Wallpaper is a b..... to remove when it has been painted.

The kilz and such is just so the wallpaper doesn't show through the paint.

Well maybe in Metro's case it was easier because the wallpaper was pre-pasted. In my old house it was old paper where the paper hanger applied the paste.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Trudi
posted Hide Post
I've done it and yes, if you look for the seams, you can see them. But then I can find the seams in a papered room if I look for them too. Smile

Posts: 2042 | Location: N.C. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Bump.
To get ahead of the repeat advertising.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I recently painted over a small area in our dining room because it was under chair rail and had picture molding (wainscot). The SW rep advised me to use oil based primer to conceal the pattern ( I applied two coats in a well ventilated room. He said water based primer would loosen the paper. I did repaste some loose sections of paper and double checked for air pockets ESP. In corners prior to applying the primer. The paint I used when the primer dried (the next day) was a matte white. Yes, the are a few (short) seams, but not highly visible.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post