Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Faux Finishing & Painting
  Getting Rid Of Brush Marks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Rid Of Brush Marks Sign In/Join 
posted
I am in the process of painting a piece of furniture white.I have beed using B.M. Advance as the paint store owner suggested it finishes more like an oil base. So far I have two coats of primer and three coats of paint. I have been sanding with a super fine sanding pad in between each coat. I can still see brush strokes. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1789 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a product called Flotrol (I believe) that's for latex paint (there is also one for oil). I haven't used it but it has great reviews to keep the brush marks away. Worth a google!

Posts: 1973 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It may require that you sand more of the paint layers? And that may also require a bit coarser sand paper, then a finer grade paper to get a smooth surface prepared for a last coat.

Floetrol (by the Flood company) is a great additive for paint smoothness, as mentioned above.

Different paint formulas can vary in "leveling" after application. It is always a question that I ask when a very smooth finish is desired. The smoothest of all, is a spray finish of course.

If your furniture has a drawer or door front that you can carry in to the paint store, inquire what they would suggest if you can.

Posts: 9646 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried purchasing a dense smooth roller labeled specificly for cabinets and doors. It helped quite a bit, but now at 4 coats I still have some shadowing.I did thin out my oil based paint on previous projects which all finished beautifully, so the thinning agent for latex is probably the ticket.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post