Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

painting paneling(sp) Sign In/Join 
Picture of Nanny_knits
posted
this is real wood paneling, I am so torn about doing this ...... I know it would brighten up the great room and kitchen the cabinets are also in the same color as the paneling and can't replace the countertops now maybe never they are laminate wood chopper type light color anybody done it and got some advice?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nanny_knits,

Posts: 140 | Location: Upper South Carolina | Registered: Dec 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We had solid birch paneling in the entry and two walls in the living/dining room. Best thing ever was to wash it, prime it and paint it. I chose a manilla folder color (cream, basically) as it seems to go with most any decor and blends well with many other colors. Used the same color on the kitchen cabinets too. Never regretted it.

Totally lightened the space and gave it a clean look.

Posts: 9613 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Painted our paneling in the FR years ago (against my husband's better judgment) and it lightened the room up so much. Now he is convinced....lol We painted it off white and then a few years later painted it a soft yellow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1515 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nanny_knits
posted Hide Post
Thanks ..that's what colors I was thinking of the back ground color o the wall paper in the kitchen is that color cream ( I know wall paper is not in style)

Posts: 140 | Location: Upper South Carolina | Registered: Dec 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are **rn do not do it. Not only is wallpaper not in style but neither is wood paneling. Do you want ** do something simply because of a current style?

Posts: 7027 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
May from Omaha...I believe it is also more of a guy thing (painting wood)...my DH was reticent about me painting our paneling too. Once I did the entry he got the idea it was a plus not a minus.
Had his approval to do the living room area then. Not that that would have stopped me, you understand....Wink

Posts: 9613 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to wait until I was divorced to paint the knotty pine walls in my kitchen and master bedroom! I don't regret it one bit--the walls OR the divorce!!!! Smile

Posts: 3410 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post