Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Faux Finishing & Painting
  Expensive desk bedroom set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expensive desk bedroom set Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello two years ago I purchase this beautiful daybed and computer desk set.

My stepson friend carved someone name in the desk with ink . I think I can repaint the furniture but how can I get rid of the carved person name from the furniture . Do I need to sand the desk first and should I paint or strip then paint the desk.

The desk is a antique white color . I so angry the person did this but I really want to fix the spot

Posts: 501 | Registered: Sep 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Depends how deep the "carving" is into the surface. Sanding may not do it, but it might be a place to start. If it is deep I would try a bit of epoxy wood filler and scrape it across the area to fill the gouges. (You may need to clean out any ink with rubbing alcohol or just scrape out the existing inked area with an exacto knife blade.) Allow the wood filler to set up as per directions and then blade off flat and then sand. Prime and paint.

Is there a way to remove the top, flip it over to a new clean surface? Another option is to put a piece of Formica on the desk top.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There may be an affordable furniture refinisher in your area who can make the repair. I have had two pieces refinished and the damaged areas are indiscernible now.

Posts: 3500 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post