Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Faux Finishing & Painting
  Ideas for paint color on red brick fireplace wall in livingroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for paint color on red brick fireplace wall in livingroom Sign In/Join 
posted
We have a red brick fireplace, it's RED, not the dusty pink looking bricks,and has cream colored grout lines. It is not painted brick nor do we want to paint it.
Any ideas on paint color for the room, or that wall in particular. The room is approx. 12' wide by 17' long and the fireplace is on the narrower wall opposite the entry door. Only two windows shaded by a huge tree outside so not much natural light. I was thinking of "accenting" the fireplace wall with a darker color and then doing a very light tone of the same color on the rest of the walls.
Your design thoughts and visions are most welcome! Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Could you possible post pics? ... and tell us more what 'look' you wish to achieve?

Also, is there a limited budget or are you entertaining the thought of refacing with another stone?

Provide more details if you can... Wink

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
We have a red brick wall in our living room. The other walls are painted SW Harvester....a golden yellow.

I have a red loveseat and two chairs that are red, yellow, and blue paisley.

Posts: 3273 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by orangezenda:
I was thinking of "accenting" the fireplace wall with a darker color and then doing a very light tone of the same color on the rest of the walls.

Why would you think of accenting a wall that is already the focal point of the room? It is already your statement wall because of the fireplace.
I think the walls would look beautiful with an ivory tone. You could then pick up "color" in fabrics, throw pillows, paintings, throw rugs and accessories.

Posts: 1754 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without seeing pictures, I'm thinking I'd stay light (creamy) to deal with the lack of light. A faux finish may be interesting - and I find it lasts longer than flat paint.

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Jun 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post