Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Faux Finishing & Painting
  Hardwood Floor Refinishing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardwood Floor Refinishing Sign In/Join 
posted
I am looking to refinish my hardwood floors and staircase in my house. The staircase is in the foyer, which also has hardwood floors. I would love to stain the staircase a dark color, but don't want to go that dark with my floors. Would it look bad it the wood on the stairs was darker than the floors? Or should I just stain them to match? Thank you.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards. I don't have an opinion on your question. I replied just to suggest that you re-post your question in General Decorating which gets lots more traffic. I predict you will get really good advice there.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I appreciate the suggestion!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am looking to refinish my hardwood floors and staircase in my house. The staircase is in the foyer, which also has hardwood floors. I would love to stain the staircase a dark color, but don't want to go that dark with my floors. Would it look bad it the wood on the stairs was darker than the floors? Or should I just stain them to match? Thank you.

I would appreciate if you show us some picture of the area. You have to consider your home interior paint on choosing the stain to be used on your floors & stairs. I see nothing wrong with different stains on floors and staircase, you just have to complement it with your decorations and all. My friend did the same to her house and it was nice. Good luck!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post