Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Faux Finishing & Painting
  Painting ceramic tiles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting ceramic tiles Sign In/Join 
posted
There are ceramic tiles in the foyer and hall and the owner doesn't want to pay to replace them. The realtor wants to know if the tiles can be painted. How and with what? I would appreciate any help on this problem.

Posts: 1 | Location: Joliet, IL | Registered: Jun 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You can have just about any surface painted. But will it hold up under traffic? No.

We had our hall ceramic bath floor and wall tile painted many years ago. Wall is fine, floor has had some dings, chips and peels. I have to keep washable throw rugs down to protect from any shoe grit.
A foyer and hall? No way would that hold up very long, unless you covered all pathways with runners. Cost is not cheap either, plus the smell of the epoxy solvent paint.

And because it would then be a painted surface, only non acidic, mild cleaners can be used.

I understand an owner not wanting to pay the bill, but if everything else is good with the home, any home buyer should consider replacement with new flooring, if they choose.

Posts: 9438 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would that garage floor paint that comes with the flecks be ok, do you think?

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cm, it is meant to go on concrete which is porous instead of tile which generally is not. It would need to be researched but my first reaction would be, no.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post