Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  How to remove yellow stains on dress shirts...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to remove yellow stains on dress shirts... Sign In/Join 
Picture of misshillsgrove
posted
...that have been stored for over a year in the closet?
They are 70% cotton, 30% polyester.

I washed them in sudsy warm water, had no effect. Is this type of stain is impossible to remove? Should I just cut my losses and get rid of them?

Posts: 264 | Registered: Dec 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the name but there is a product you will find on the detergent additive area that will take some or most of the yellow out. As long as they are all white it will do a good job. I use it frequently on tshirts DH pulls from the back of his closet.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3482 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Treat the stains, wash the shirts, and hang them in the sun. The sun removes a lot of stains.

Posts: 3140 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
You can try diluting Hydrogen Peroxide w a little water, spray it on the shirt and sit it in direct sunlight for at least 6 hours. That's only for white shirts Wink

Posts: 948 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I am a huge believer in bleach. Have something white soaking in a mixture just now.

Then hang in sun. Came back to say I used to deal in linens. There is a rare stain that I can't remove.

Posts: 12530 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Won't bleach and or peroxide destroy the shirts? I know that all cotton or all linen would be ok but I think that there are specific products for blends like these shirts.

Posts: 3177 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might try making a paste with Oxiclean and water and letting it sit on the stains overnight. I know that works well on 100% cotton, but I don't know how it will work on polyester.

Posts: 1854 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of misshillsgrove
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

I will be trying your hints.
The sun has been aol for the past week, hopefully if it returns tomorrow,my shirts will be outside as that seems the most simple solution to try first.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Dec 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I've never had the HP ruin anything white, however I did spray the dilution on a blue shirt once and it left it a few shades lighter where I sprayed, leaving it an "around the house shirt" only. It was 100% cotton.

Posts: 948 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
,my shirts will be outside as that seems the most simple solution to try first.

Don't forget to wash them first or at least have them wet!

We had a roll up shade (fabric) on our porch that got badly stained. We were going to replace it with bamboo and that turned out to be too much of a hassle, cost and size problem.

Since the shade was a loss anyway DH cut it off and I soaked it in Wisk and bleach. Rinsed, washed and hung on the line. There were still a few marks and today it is totally clean!

Posts: 12530 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard peroxide gets out yellow stains

Posts: 2 | Location: Bergen County, Nj | Registered: Jul 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when nurses wore white uniforms a neighbor soaked her polyester unis in a solution of dissolved dishwasher detergent before washing without adding any laundry detergent.
That said, because formulas have evolved (chemicals and dyes), try using a cup of distilled vinegar & hot water.
Whatever suggestion you try, if stains remain try another before putting the garment in a drier.

Posts: 5029 | Location: NE of S.F. | Registered: Apr 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Hello,

If you are not a fan of using chemicals in fear of ruining your shirts there are also some natural products you can use.

For example, for any white dress shirts you can crush two aspirins and mix with a 1/2 cup of warm water. Soak the shirt in the solution for two to three hours and then I agree with everyone else let it dry in the sun.

For all dress shirts any color, dissolve 4 tbsp. of salt in 1 quart of hot water. Use a clean rag and press the solution into the shirt until the stain disappears.

I use the salt trick on my fiancé's dress shirts. It takes a little bit of time so I usually do it while watching tv, but he is always amazed with the difference it makes.

Hope this helps,

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I got out my DS baby clothes last year that had been stored for 25 years. They had the same stains. I came here for advice. I ended up soaking them over night in a bucket of hot water with Tide Vivid w/Bleach Color Safe and Oxyclean. The stains came out and they were so bright, just like new!

Posts: 3260 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jacobwilson8:
You try bargainig if the old guy of yours is ready to work for the price you are offering and also you haved liked his work which was quality then its fine ,If not you always have the other guy option so try bargaining and check it out

????????????????????????????????????

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4794 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on another post he did, this is a spammer. He is just trying to establish his credibility. Rough to do when the post makes no sense.

Do not click on any links from this poster.

Posts: 6986 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post