Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Homemade laminate wood flooring cleaner recipe wanted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade laminate wood flooring cleaner recipe wanted Sign In/Join 
posted
If you have had laminate wood flooring for a long time and have a recipe for a homemade cleaner for that flooring (you've used it a Long time with no negative results) I would love to know what you use. I have had a shaw laminate flooring for a few years and would like to make a cheaper cleaner rather than buying their own **2 cleaner, but I'm hesitant to try anything else that might damage it. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: llazy1,

Posts: 657 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Normally I use pine oil cleaner diluted in water, but I have also used just white vinegar...about a cup in a gallon or so of warm water...both work. Depends on if I want the pine smell or not.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I just use a damp cloth in one hand followed by a dry cloth in the other. The floors look great after that simple wipe up.

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
This works for me. About a fourth cup white vinegar mixed in to a quart of warm water....in a spray bottle. Apply/spray lightly to a cleanly swept laminate floor. Spray an area approximately 4 ft x 4ft. Wipe with microfiber mop or cloth. Kick an old dry/clean towel to dry the newly cleaned area as you move on to the adjacent area.

I keep the vinegar/Water ready in the spray bottle, to use for any spot cleaning too. No streaks and super cheap.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks everybody

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Can you use something like a Shark Steam Cleaner on them, with a dilution of water and vinegar?

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the laminate floor mfg sites I have checked say do not use steam.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Oh, some will say, USE STEAM.
Agent of AllLock says NO STEAM. It gets in the seams and eventually may raise the tile. (The laminate is in blocks (tiles).
I use a flat-head mop. Spray with vinegar and water (from a spray bottle). Wipe. Pad gets dirty; soak. Wash.

Posts: 5949 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is tough to clean laminate wood flooring, many people worried about cleaning of laminate wood flooring, to clean this you can try this recipe, take a gallon of water, add half cup of vinegar, 1/3 cup of alcohol, and few drops of liquid dish cleaner to clean wooden floor.

Posts: 31 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with Conrads recipe, just halved the amoutnts of water and vinegar so I could fit it in my cleaning unit. I bought a Libman Freedom Spray Mop some time back so debuted it for this trial. Both the recipe and the Libman worked great. The Libman has a reservoir of 18 oz or so for filling with your own cleaning product or recipe. It has a squeeze device in the handle so you can spray as needed without carryng around a bottle. It has a pad that is removeable and washable so you don't need to use disposable ones. I thought it was pricy initially (I paid about 15 more than on amazon when I bought it locally) but it appears well made so I went for it. I'd give it a 5 star. As to the vinegar and water recipe, it seems to have done a good job.. the floors don't look hazy and are nice and clean. I did read on the floor manufacturers website not to use pine oil products so i passed on that one, even tho maybe a drop or two diluted in the recipe would probably be fine. I do not do any floor drying- just let it air dry. Thank you everyone for the help.

quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
This works for me. About a fourth cup white vinegar mixed in to a quart of warm water....in a spray bottle. Apply/spray lightly to a cleanly swept laminate floor. Spray an area approximately 4 ft x 4ft. Wipe with microfiber mop or cloth. Kick an old dry/clean towel to dry the newly cleaned area as you move on to the adjacent area.

I keep the vinegar/Water ready in the spray bottle, to use for any spot cleaning too. No streaks and super cheap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: llazy1,