Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  100 Item Challenge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 Item Challenge Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
This is a decluttring discussion.

I read somewhere about a 100 item challenge -- get rid of 100 items in a month to make your life easier . . .

I started in January and I've gotten 951 items so far and this is the middle of July.

And an item may be a receipt in your purse that you throw away -- not cleaning the purse! Magazines gone through, closets gone through, etc. And it has to be something that is "permanent" not getting junk mail and immediately getting rid of it.

My house is so much better but my goal is truly 1200 items this year. And I'm working my way there.

We all save way too much!

Martha

Posts: 6245 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, the bins of things that have been thrown away at my house in the last couple of weeks!! Certainly didn't count them, though. And I'd bet there'll be more before the next week is over.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6755 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I am in charge of an "indoor Yard Sale" each February for an organization. I keep boxes in my garage in which I put anything that will go for the sale (no clothing). It has been fantastic. I usually have 6 or 7 boxes filled by the time the sale comes around.

I get rid of clothing frequently. There are now "Drop Boxes" here in our town. It is so convenient!

Posts: 3233 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met that a week ago and will match it next week.

Posts: 2296 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Well Martha, how can a receipt be considered "permanent" if it is still in your purse?

This is interesting but I routinely throw things like newspapers, cereal cartons, juice bottles away and since I never plan on keeping them can they count? Same thing with magazines. Today I threw away a paint roller, plastic pie plate and a paint brush. Would they count? I had been keeping them all (the pie plate for the purpose to which I put it)

Posts: 12963 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
LOS, yes they count.

On Sundays I like to watch "Hoarding, Buried Alive" while I putter around my kitchen. Believe me I can throw out 100 items in about 10 minutes when I'm watching that show!!! (I exaggerate).

Seriously though I keep a bag in the upstairs hall closet into which I tuck things to get rid of and it goes out at least once a month. Old toys, magazines, greeting cars, that sheet set that just doesn't fit...etc. Out grown kids clothes and on and on.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
As I am still cleaning out Dad's house I am bringing home many items I have no use for but are too good to throw out. Gave one truck load to a local nonprofit for their yardsale. Still more to go so looks like I'll have a whiz-bang of a sale when I'm through! I shredded at least 5 big garbage bags of papers. *sigh* note to self...keep up with shredding papers so they don't pile up.

piney

Posts: 3221 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I could manage 100 items a month every month, but this week I am getting rid of all of my VHS tapes and most of my books. I'm sure the two of those together will be more than 1,200 items.

Last month, I went through all of the leftover paint cans in the garage and arranged for a hazardous waste pick-up. I got rid of about 14 gallons of bad paint.

Posts: 2013 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
What a great accomplishment Linderhoff!

I should have counted what I have gotten rid of this year. I did a complete clean out of my three basement storage rooms where I keep holiday decorations, sports and camping gear, and keepsakes/who knows what. I took load after load to the goodwill, and then load after load to the dump.

I have to say my life does feel easier after getting rid of the accumulation of many years!

Posts: 7256 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I have the opposite thing going on, I throw away too much stuff then get blamed for getting rid of something someone wanted to sell on e-bay, craigslist... the list goes on.

I'm always thinking, even though I'm in my 50's, I don't want to leave a big mess for my kids to have to go through and clean up when we're gone. So I tend to throw away a lot. I keep sentimental things like Bday and Mother's day cards as well as Christmas. But I'm not a collector except for Waterford that I've been collecting since my 20's and it's actually worth something.

I'm going to have to look into a diagnosis for someone that gets a "hi gh" on throwing things away 'cause that's me lol!

Great idea to count those items Martha! At the rate you're going you're sure to exceed your expectations!

Posts: 1000 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy_in_wlsv:
On Sundays I like to watch "Hoarding, Buried Alive" while I putter around my kitchen. Believe me I can throw out 100 items in about 10 minutes when I'm watching that show!!! (I exaggerate).

Yes, I watch that show too. I agree, it is the perfect incentive to declutter.
This is a great topic, thanks for starting it, the person who did! I have so much Cr@p to get rid of. I planned to get rid of lots this summer (I'm home now)

Posts: 2529 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
Well Martha, how can a receipt be considered "permanent" if it is still in your purse?

This is interesting but I routinely throw things like newspapers, cereal cartons, juice bottles away and since I never plan on keeping them can they count? Same thing with magazines. Today I threw away a paint roller, plastic pie plate and a paint brush. Would they count? I had been keeping them all (the pie plate for the purpose to which I put it)

No, LOS -- I don't count the junk mail that goes from mailbox to the trash nor the receipt that goes from store to trash. No, it's the wad of receipts that you're often given that end up in your purse at the market (what else do you do with them while you're digging out your keys?) and then several months later you realize that there is NO ROOM in the purse for your phone and so you clean it out -- in July a receipt dated in March DOES qualify as an item! A receipt brought home from the store and goes directly into the waste basket does not!

Martha

Posts: 6245 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I purged before my kids arrived earlier this month. Just in clothes, I took 2 big construction garbage bags full to our local charity...where they dress gals for work & sell what they can't use for that to purchase the items needed.
We have a small warehouse that is FULL of things for a yard sale. If the weather is decent, I'm thinking about doing one in Nov.!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5012 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martha. "purging" is kind of a selective activity for me. I go through closets etc and make a pile of things for Goodwill, but I keep every greeting card that we receive.

I do get rid of paper things almost immediately.

I have been thinking about this concept the past couple of days and given our interests and talents and creativity, there is no way we will not end up with thousands of items to be disposed of in some way.

Even the most dedicated minimalist . . . if they took the time to really look at their possessions will realize that there is no way when they finally depart, that they will not be leaving a hefty number of items behind.

Of course the aim is to have those items things that have been appreciated and cherished and the source of much pleasure. . . not a bunch of take out containers or long outdated income tax returns etc.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
My BIl will get rid of anything that's not tied down, unless he bought it. Kind of rude - he sold almost all the very expensive tools and gadget my sister gave him, but he hangs onto anything he bought. He has held yard sales when DS was working in another state prior to their moving and sold many items she wanted to keep. For him I think the technical term is JERK.

DH is a paper magnet. We finally quit the daily paper because we were starting to look like those people on shows. Next step is to discontinue magazines.

We are trying to plan a long trip next year and I do not want to come home to boxes and boxes of junk mail and magazines!

I love the idea of getting rid of 100 things a month. I could probably do 100 a day for a while. Big Grin

Fun and Info

Posts: 3590 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I threw away a rotten potato the other day. Does that count? Wink

DH was looking for his pilot's license. I pulled the file drawer open and said that if it wasn't in his 'personal' file that it could be in the top left dresser drawer but did he look in the little white plastic basket on the shelf above his underwear in the closet. He'd looked in the white plastic basket so while I was going through 'his' file he went through his top right desk drawer and ta-da he found where HE had put it. Smile In the meantime I'm looking at Social Security annual statements on what he will draw the next year for the last ten years. Time to go through that file and get rid of out of date stuff.

Every season, I go through my closet getting ready for heat or cold and sort. I generally get rid of a laundry basket full of things especially the light colored stuff that I look at with a stern eye for stains and spots. There's absolutely no need to store that stuff over the winter. DH gets lots of shop rags out of old t-shirts and sweatshirts.

Posts: 17274 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandson has been here this week and we have gotten rid of over 1000 things. Goodwill, trash, someone else's yard sale,etc. He did most of the work but I'm so tired all I can do is breathe. So much more to go.

Posts: 2296 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to do a sweep here, too. It's been awhile.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a book case sort of partially stuck behind the dryer in the basement and I was storing dishes on it. Not for my use but for my dreamed of yard sale.
the other day I decided to deal with them and move the bookcase. The fieldstone walls kind of "exfoliate" and the things were covered with kind of a sandy something. I don't get it as they looked newly painted which DH does to keep them clean. Maybe it was coming from above.

Anyway I ran a couple of dishwashers full and then decided, why am I keeping these things.
took a bunch to swap shop today and have more for next trip. AND nothing looked so appealing there either! Although I did get a very good condition office chair for my new computer room!

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I did it!!! Probably 100 things went to the hazmat collection today! A full pickup truck load. We were supposed to be limited to 5 gallons so we had our fingers crossed.

quote:
Originally posted by Spanish Revival:
.... But I'm not a collector except for Waterford that I've been collecting since my 20's and it's actually worth something.

I hate to burst your bubble but I sent my mother's Waterford crystal wine goblets to the auction house and got $10 for all 12 of them! New in the store they went for $30 to 40 each. Even the 1800's brilliant cut crystal is dismal on the market.

piney

Posts: 3221 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sent my mother's Waterford crystal wine goblets to the auction house and got $10 for all 12 of them!

That's why I like auctions. You can get terrific deals. But you can also put a reserve on things so they do not sell below what you will accept.

And conversely some things sell for way more than they are "worth"

posted Hide Post
Threw away over 100 things that were in a box in the garage. At least Jake did. He doesn't have a problem throwing stuff away like I do.

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
That is true, LOS but here they won't put a rserve on things that are expected to sell below $500. Some places will charge you a fee of 10 to 15% of the reserve if it does not sell. It is for that reason that I would not attend the auctions when my parents' things were being auctioned off. My mother would have been upset. I kept most of the Waterford but did not need the larger wine goblets not the champagnes. The 6 champagne flutes sold for $40.
My Dad's turned burl bowls did very well. Some well over $100. I kept the best ones.
They are having antiques only next weekend.

piney

posted Hide Post
Got way over things going to goodwill and animal shelter tomorrow. They love old towels and wash rags.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Right this minute I have two large bags filled completely with tons of my DD's outgrown clothes. A charity gives plastic bags to everyone's home several times a year collecting things for their charity (Cystic Fibrisis Organization). I feel good, gave away so much clothing. AND ....DRUM ROLL - I gave away two super huge bags and a shoebox of dolls, stuffed animals and little toys (in very, very good condition, all clean, nothing dirty, broken, etc.) to the little girl (my new backyard neighbor) who is 3 1/2 y.o. I threw this HUGE BOX (now empty) out of my DD's closet and she now has more room. This little girl is adorable and she always comes to the fence to say hello & talk to me whenever I go outside & she's playing in her yard. She has a brother about 5 y.o. They are Hispanic but she speaks English, so cute! It's great because this family just had a brand new baby (I hear it crying) and all these 'toys' could occupy the little girl's time! I feel so good giving things 'to real people' instead of the charity (like the bags on my porch right now). I also told my DD to go through her things to give more usable toys/games away. (It is truly amazing the things that just sit in storage bins and closets & languish for years unused....) :O :[

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2529 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished cleaning out the desk drawer in the kitchen. It's a shallow drawer so it doesn't get too out of control before I organize and clean it, but it had been a while. It's amazing how dusty and yucky drawers get.

Posts: 2013 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I DO have a box of item for donation; probably in January after the holidays, I will start Spring cleaning... lol. Here in FL, I do things on a different schedule than when living in the Midwest. By that time we'll have been in this house ALmost two years, and I need to do some deeper cleaning by then Wink

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took 100 yesterday.

posted Hide Post
DD went through all my Christmas things and took most (or will) of the glass ornaments. Some other kind of "iffy" things we took to swap shop. We still have fake greens, lights etc.

Seems though that is more likely recently that we are bringing in 100 things! (can I count each separate ornament?)

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
StepS and DIL are hard on kitchen bakeware. I purchased some better bakeware than I had and took a few older things to them. By the time he's used them a few times on the grill they will disappear.

Anyway I got six items out of my house. Oh wait...EIGHT items. I also gave them a couple of pieces of cast iron - a divided cornbread/scone skillet and a cornstick pan.

I noticed their cast iron pizza pan out on the grill's side shelf...rusting. I told stepS to not throw it away before offering it to me. Wink

Posts: 17274 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i must have started to read the book at one point.. i seem to recall that if you throw out or donate 10 shirts- that counts as 1. 100 magazines=1.
I finally put some old aluminum "club" triangle pots on ebay and got $35 for them - better yet gained back some good space- got 2 appliances off the countertop and back into the pantry cabinet.

Posts: 661 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Well, llazy1, if that's the case, I'm far behind my original count -- I count each THING as one -- so ten shirts equals ten!

But counting that way to reach the goal of 100 would get rid of a lot more individual items than 100!

That's probably good!

I slowed down this summer . . . but come fall and housecleaning, I may be back in business again .

But which way to count! LOL!

Oh, and then I was reading about the month challenge -- you start at the first of the month and on 10/1 (for example) get rid of 1 thing, 10/2 two things, 10/3 three, etc. At the end of the month, your house will be 465 things lighter!

Don't know how they count (i.e. 10 shirts equal 1 -- surely not because when you get to 10/31 you may be emptying a room -- LOL!)

Martha

posted Hide Post
Since DH's "big" window cleaning adventure, he is so appalled at how much he has in his study that he is really cleaning out. Plus I finally got him to take those three windows, I was going to make a terrific decoupage project out of (it was to be a six room house)back to the transfer station, a wonderful mailing tube if we ever wanted to send a big drawing, map, chart, graft to someone?!?!

Oh, we have many little and big and medium sized oddments around that we can part with and that does not begin to mention the things we consider good!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
We take clothes to Goodwill at least once a year and magazines on a monthly basis, except for my "keepers". DH is always cleaning out his workshop and shed taking stuff to the dump.

Whenever it gets to a point where I run out of storage space I start streamlining and get rid of things that I can't remember why I held on to them. Empty cookie tins, old computer parts, an old coffee maker, airpop popcorn machine, old dog toys etc.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7547 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post