Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Dust and Feathers Coming Through Gaps in Molding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dust and Feathers Coming Through Gaps in Molding Sign In/Join 
posted
I am not sure if this is the correct forum but please bear with me.

We rent the first floor of a three story single family home. Recently, we've started to notice bird feathers appearing sporadically throughout the home - please do not tell me these are signs of an angel. We looked around the entire apartment and could not tell from where the feathers were coming. I came home this evening to find a good clump of dust and feathers in the hallway.

After further inspection, there appears to be a small gap between the floor and the wall (where the molding is located). The gap is not significant (maybe enough to slide a coin through) but it is definitely noticeable. After looking throughout the house, it appears there are numerous gaps and everywhere there is a gap, there is dust and/or feathers.

My question is two fold - (1)what i the world is causing these feathers and dust to appear and (2) should we be concerned about the gaps?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
A guess:
You either could have birds living above the room (attic space or between floors) or have had birds living there in the past...and now have mice or another creature crawling around and disturbing the feathers/dust and causing the settling. I suppose severe winds could also cause displacement of these things to filter down. What is actually above the rooms you are getting the feathers?

Active pigeon or other birds can carry mites or lice, I am thinking. I would not be happy with this situation and seek to find out what you are actually dealing with.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
You need to get the landlord involved. The whole house probably needs exterminated for vermin/varmints. Then all the cracks and gaps need filled. If you get a refusal, you can either get the local health department involved...Or move.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
How old is this home? I've seen some weird things used in walls for insulation in years gone by...like wadded up newspapers for one and feathers wouldn't be out of the questions if they had been plentiful at that time.

One old house that we bought & tore out the old lathe/plaster walls...the walls were filled with black walnut shells and squirrel nests. I hauled out loads & loads of that stuff in a wheel barrow! The original one room structure of that house was over 100 yrs. old, but had newer ad ons to it.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4861 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
hgtvuser. Have you lived in this apt long?
When you say you see gaps where the molding (baseboard) meets the walls (in other words near the floor) are those the only gaps there are? Or are there gaps also at the ceiling?

If the former then the feathers are not coming from the attic. But have you asked the other two tenants if they have the same situation?

To have such an extent so suddenly of something so intrusive and potentially infectious does call for immediate inspection and probably professional intervention.

Posts: 12660 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Do you have goose down pillows or bedding? Sometimes little feathers and bits of fluff can work through the covers. Maybe collecting along the edges of the walls from foot traffic ?

Posts: 3100 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post